when to add my bakers chocolate?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

auto4life

Reaction score
I'm Altering a recipe i found on another site and came up with this one: http://hopville.com/recipe/1472784/oatmeal-stout-recipes/santan-oatmeal-stout# My question is when is when should i add the 8 ounces of German bakers chocolate? right now i've set it up for 20 minutes prior to flame out. Also whats your opinion of the recipe in general?
Thanks in advance for your advise!
-Jake T

From a few threads I read, I saw some folks adding chocolate to the primary and some to the secondary. Personally, the chocolate RIS I just brewed, had the addition put in the primary (melted) once I got the sort below 100. From the little drinks I've had of it, I can taste the chocolate.

Interesting, is bacteria/ infection not a concern? I would think you'd want to sterilize anything being added to the wort. Is there a benefit to adding it as late as secondary vs. After/ end of boil.

I don't have an science/experience behind why I did it when I did other than I wanted as much chocolate in the fermenter as possible vs. leaving some behind in the brew kettle. The bowl I used was starsan'ed and the chocolate was microwaved, so some things will get killed, but not everything. I will try the chocolate addition at a different time when I brew this beer again to see if the flavor changes any.

Ahh, I remember why I added chocolate to the primary...
1. I wanted as much chocolate in the fermenter as I could, with none wasted, settling to the bottom of the brew kettle.
2. I didn't put it in secondary because half my batch I was going to bottle right away and the other half I was going to secondary on oak and bourbon. Because I wanted chocolate in both, I put it in the primary.

Edit: Not saying that what I did was a good idea, or the best way of doing, but that's what I did. :)

Makes sense, how does the recipe look in general? More specifically am I using a good yeast for the application. Also I was hoping the change from c60 to caramel, c60 would help darken the head color a few shades

I am far from being able to critique a recipe. I am still in the newbie experimentation phase. For example I used a Belgian yeast in my choco stout. I read 3787 is used in Avery Mephistopheles stout, and it's a phenomenal stout, so I had to try it.

Never heard of it till now, looks like a monster! I might just have to add that to my list once I get set up with a nitro tap.

An update on my chocolate oatmeal stout. I ended up using cocoa instead of bakers chocolate because the folks at my local brew store said they thought the fat content in the chocolate might mess with the head/ retention. Recipe turned out ok but a little too bitter (I think its because I didn't factor in the bitterness of the cocoa)
Certainly room for improvement.

I recently added baker's chocolate (4 oz. to my Paul Coffey No. 77 "Power-Play" Stout) to a boil (the full 60-minutes), and I put it in by melting it in a bowl in the microwave and then drawing out a bit of the nearly-boiling wort, adding it to the chocolate bowl, and then whisking it into a single consistency. By that time, the boil started and I re-added along with my bittering hops. I have the second week in November (six weeks of bottle conditioning) planned for the first tasting. I'll report on how the chocolate addition using that method went.

Incidentally, I saw a similar addition method on a recent "Stout" video podcast from Northern Brewer.

If your looking for a good chocolate flavor dont forget you can secondary on top of 4-8oz of Cocoa nibs.

Latest posts

Back