Introducing the BrewKart

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thorongil

Reaction score
First off, credit to where credit is due: the inspiration for this rig came from jkarp and Boerderij Kabouter. Without you guys leading the way, I would never have been able to build this. Also worth mentioning is the quality electrical info from CodeRage; his advise kept me from building an unsafe system.

Now on to the good stuff... I originally started out thinking that I wanted to build a single tier system to replace my current 10 gallon rig. But then, after reading the threads from the folks mentioned above, and dwelling on what a pain it is to brew outside during the summer in Phoenix, I changed course and decided to build a rig that could run inside, be 120V electric, and be all (or mostly) stainless...

Thus was born the BrewKart... I ended up going with copper piping due to cost and ease of handling, and went with a 2 vessel Brutus 20 like system that incorporated a dual function coil for HERMS control and chilling. I don’t claim to have anything too original here, but threw together a number of well established concepts to build a rig that would work for me. I went with the largest heating element that I could run on 120V (2000W HD) and sized the setup accordingly. I start with about 5 gallons preboil since that really the most the element can boil and end up with just a bit under 4 gallons into the fermenter. After about six weeks of planning and about 4 weeks of building during my spare time, I ran the first pilot batch through this weekend. Overall it was a big success, though I need to work on a couple things. Even with a semi-sparge, I still obtained 66% efficiency, and I think I can tweak my process a bit to get to my planned 70%. I also need to return to my stainless scrubby method of filtering the drain on the boil kettle - the modified kettle screen clogged too quickly with whole leaf hops.

Here’s the price and parts list; I’ve accounted for everything here except tools (let me know if you need live links - not sure how to past an actual spreadsheet here...):
parts.jpg

Now on to a few pics.

Stainless...
IMG_6306.jpg

More Parts:
IMG_6307.jpg

Ready to start the build:
IMG_6309.jpg

Progress:
IMG_6491.jpg

Thorongil, I love that set-up. I want something small like that. Slightly smaller actually. I like brewing 2.5 gallon batches. I know, I'm probably wasting my time and money, because there will be someone who doesn't understand why I want to brew such a small batch and why I'm willing to spend the money. Anyway, nice work. That is really a beautiful rig. I have often wondered how brewers clean those rigs. How do you do it? Is it labor intensive? Do you have to take it all apart?

I have often wondered how brewers clean those rigs. How do you do it? Is it labor intensive? Do you have to take it all apart?

I can take it apart quite easily if I want to, but normal cleaning is done by flushing with hot Oxiclean followed by clean water. That's after dumping grains and hosing out the kettle... Cleanup is quite a bit easier than my 10 gallon cooler HERMS system...

AWESOME! I love it. The cart idea is great and looks really nice. I am glad it worked well.

I am still dialing in the process for max efficiency too. One thing that has really helped so far is using Kaiser's efficiency sheet. Then you can pinpoint where your losses are occurring. Oddly enough, I have very consistent lauter efficiency at about 75-78%, but my conversion efficiency dropped to 90% on one batch hurting my brewhouse efficiency overall. Not sure what happened on that one, but if you have a refractometer, you can watch it real time, and adjust accordingly.

I have been hovering around 68% efficiency with the Simple Brewery.

I can send you all my spreadsheet stuff for brewdays if you send me an email at jstalbot at gmail dot com. I haven't renewed my membership yet so I can't attach stuff or receive PMs.

That looks fantastic. I'll add this to my list of references. Got the first couple deliveries of stainless this weekend for my build, and more on the way. Thanks for posting.

Please tell me that's the location used to brew as well!? That's awesome.
My goal is an indoor brewery to sit in the bar area. Hoping to just get setup for electric first. Then I can worry about making it pretty enough to be placed in the bar :D

Very cool setup! Since it appears that you are brewing indoors, what do you do about the steam?

Very Nice. I am a huge fan of compact rigs.

Did you have trouble working with the 1/2 copper? Was it easy to bend? I am thinking of using bendable copper on my next project.

Since it appears that you are brewing indoors, what do you do about the steam?

If you look at the top of this picture, you'll see a fan on top of the bookcase. I think the fan's original intent was for drying carpets, but it does great with steam and smoke too... Window is open...

IMG_6507.jpg

I also forgot to post this one earlier; the inside of the boil kettle:

IMG_6495.jpg

I hope to have a couple small videos up later once I solve my formatting issues...

Very cool setup! Since it appears that you are brewing indoors, what do you do about the steam?

Yes, what he said. My first thought when I saw the "Indoor brew in action:" picture was where is the humidity going to go.

Did you have trouble working with the 1/2 copper? Was it easy to bend?

I used soft copper for all the bends and just did it by hand with the spring-tool-thingy to prevent kinks. Took a bit of muscle, but I did not use any specialty tools. You can't get a real tight diameter though, which is why I went with the soldered elbows in some places...

Ok, finally got my videos figured out...

Here's the rig running, note the exhaust fan:

Here's how it boils just under 5 gallons at 100%:

Last edited by a moderator:
Ran batch #2 through the new rig yesterday - it was an Oatmeal Extra Stout with a 90 min mash and I managed to get 72.5% efficiency. I am very pleased with this and think I have my process dialed in well on this new rig. 2 vessel brewing FTW!

Heating strike:
IMG_6510.jpg

Mashing:
IMG_6511.jpg

Boiling - Hops added (love the paint strainer bags...):
IMG_6512.jpg

I brewed my 3rd batch on the rig on Monday and again got 72% efficiency. I love this thing.

What I really need to help strengthen the boil a bit is a custom lid for the kettle that has an exhaust stack and view door like a pro rig...

That is really a thing of beauty. I like that it runs on 110v as opposed to the 220v that many electric set ups require.

Nice job dude! I gotta see this one day. I remember talking to you that time at Papago awhile back.

I finally just finished getting my 10g all grain setup going and its getting hot. Next step, 10g all electric for indoor brewing!

Agreed - i'm on my 3rd house now and will never rent again... but for those who do, this brewery might actually be an option...

I sent photos and parts list to a couple friends across the country, one question was asked, what was used for the control panel? It looks like a 12" x 12" x 3" or 4" deep plastic box. Got a name and price of this box? Thanks.

Hard to tell on the boil time, but from mashout at 170 it takes about 15 min or so to boil.

As for the inside of the box... things are pretty cramped in there, plus i used stiff home power wiring which makes getting it open a PITA. I'll probably get a bigger box at some point and add a temp probe or 2...

Back