Solid State Relays

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RDWHAHB

Reaction score
Quick question. Why does everybody here use Solid State Relays. Good old electromechanical relays work good for me.

SSR last longer, but I could not fathom wearing out a EM relay on a brew rig.
SSR has no spark, but I'm not making a CLass I, Div 1/2 brewery

What am I missing?

Maybe the same reason people use semiconductor transistors instead of vacuum tubes.

Better/smaller packaging, higher duty cycle, more robust, less likely to break. Also mechanical relays can get sticky.

Just a guess. I haven't even seen a mechanical relay in consumer-level electronics since I was in high school.

Fair enough. Most of my experience is in industrial automation. We use a lot of EM relays. I know nothing about consumer electronics. I might just be behind the times too. That's hardly new teritory for me.
Jeff

Probably the reason you have not seen many SSR's is because the max is like 50 amps. If you need to switch big time current contactors are still king.

Here is a stupid reason but I did not want to hear the clicking when the contacts were energized. I like my setup nice and quiet.

I am thinking of the controls side. We use relays with up to 10amp contacts. And don't use anything close to the 10 amp. Maybe it is because the mechanical relays cause less & are less suseptable to electrical noise.

Back