Filtering Beer - How fine a filter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cape Brewing

DOH!!! Stupid brewing...
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Got a big cookout coming up and I'm going to be brewing like mad for the next few weeks so I can get five-seven batches kegged for it. I did the first one, a Kolsch yesterday out of Brewing Classic Styles. I also listened to Jamil's podcast on it for s&g's.

It has a short lagering period (only about 4 weeks) so I'm going to be fine in terms of fermentation but he mentioned that the WLP029 has horrible flocculation and while the beer will be great at 4-5 weeks of lagering, you either need to filter it or let it sit another month to get all of the yeast out, which will affect flavor.

Yeah I know... I can do gelatin and finings and all that... but a beer filter is nothing more than a simply catridge filter you can get at HD fo short money and I'm thinking it might not be a horrible thing to have laying around.

I'm curious if anyone knows how fine of a filter I should use though in order to filter a beer properly.

I second that I made a kolsch and right before i was about to carb it i passed it thru a 5 micron and it turned out great.

I agree, I use a 5 micron if I just want clear beer. Most of the time the only reason I filter is for taking a keg somewhere and a 5 micron makes it nice and clear and I don't notice much change in flavor.

The only time I use anything else is if I need to remove all of the yeast to backsweeten, and 1 micron seems to do the trick for that.

Back