Sanitizer Bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pearlbeer

Reaction score
I'm finding myself making a Gallon of BrewVent Cleanitizer quite often. Making beer, checking FG, racking, etc. Would it be safe to make a 5 gallon batch in a bucket and just keep it in the garage? Could I just store my thief hydrometer etc in the solution full time to make this easier?

SWMBO is tired of brew equipment piling up by the sink.

Sorry, don't know much about BrewVent Cleaner... Maybe invest in some starsan? Use it, love it, plenty of threads about it...

Hope someone chimes in and good luck!

BrewVent is a perchlorate, in the same vein as OxiClean/PBW/etc. That means it's only good for a few hours after mixing.

It's also not a sanitizer; places like AHS are careful to use wording like "BrewVint Cleanitizer is an oxygen-based cleaner". Some people use perchlorates in lieu of sanitizers, and there are endless arguments about whether they're as effective (ie it's just a labelling law issue) or not and exactly how long you have to soak things in them to get full effectiveness. Personally I'd go with a true sanitizer (StarSan, Iodophor, heat).

StarSan will maintain effectiveness for a long time (as long as pH is below 3, usually over a month).

having sanitizer to keep around is one of the big reasons that people like star san. among others.

Back