Cranberry Wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alex_wilkosz

Reaction score
Can i make a cranberry wine with 5 gallons of cranberry concentrate (Ocean's Spray) 2lbs of dextrose and montrachet?
would that work?any problems?
I searched the forums and did not find much help and was wondering if anyone had any information! thanks!

It would be good to know a recipe if that doesnt work from someone as well?!

I started a batch 2 weeks ago, very active fermentation compared to my Apfelwein. I used 5 Gal. "Western Family" cranberry juice (no preservitives) 2 Lb. corn sugar and Lalvin K1-V1116 yeast. No clue what it tastes like, but it will work. I call mine "Crapfelwein"

I have five gallons of cranberry juice (ocean spray), and 2 lbs of regular sugar with montrachet yeast and it's still bubbling after more than a month! I'm calling mine CRAN.

started something similar about 10 days ago..

5 gallons great value cranberry grape juice
7 lbs cane sugar (accidentally added 7lbs - don't ask..)
red star pasteur red
yeast nutrient

bubbling good..going to sample and probably bottle at around 6 weeks

Ive made some with montrachet. I sweeten mine with a few tbsps of concentrate per half gallon and it pretty much tastes just like cranberry juice. It takes forever for mine to ferment though.

Seven pounds of sugar? Woohoo, fly me to the mooooooon! :mug:

I would think cranberry wine will end up potentially very dry, maybe even taste a bit thin. There's a reason most cranberry juice you buy is a blend. Cranberry + grape or apple would probably be way better, or used to blend in with other berries. That's my completely biased opinion, based on nothing, so take it for what it's worth. ;)

Started mine last september:

5 Gallons Great Value Cranberry Juice
4lbs table sugar
red star montrachet

9 months later . . .

tasty!

I'm curious how the 7 lbs. worked out. One pound per gallon is usually about 5% ABV, so his yeast could have attentuated it and it might have turned out alright. I predict it would have low body, but it might have had some very nice acid/fruit blend. Still, would be nice to hear for sure...

Oh oh oh! Picture!

photo_1.er3ha9mwkxwksk44w08o888ks.iuxrcn3cvdsk084k8kg488ok.th.jpeg

Dang, nice!

BTW, if you're having any trouble getting corks all the way in (I only see one), make sure that both the cork and the bottle mouth are good and wet with wine. :)

EDIT: the cork should be wet with meta solution, not wine, DOH! ;)

Dang, nice!

BTW, if you're having any trouble getting corks all the way in (I only see one), make sure that both the cork and the bottle mouth are good and wet with wine. :)

EDIT: the cork should be wet with meta solution, not wine, DOH! ;)

Yeah, it was my first time with synthetic corks :p

I made a gallon of cranberry wine earlier this year. My yeast stalled for some reason, I presumed it was the acidity level, so I had to dilute the must with some water to get the flow going. I used a mix of cranberry juice and fresh cranberries, that may have been the problem. The wine is very akin to cranberry juice in that it is still very tart. Here's what I did:

2011 Cranberry
Recipe:
Yield: 1 gallon (closer to 2 by the end of it)
1 gallon Cranberry Juice (1.056)
32 oz Cranberries (with juice 1.054)
23 oz Sugar (1.100)
1 Campden Tablet
1 tsp. Yeast Nutrient
1/2 tsp. Acid Blend
1/8 tsp. Pectin Enzyme
Yeast: Lalvin K1-V1116

Jan 3, 2011
SG: 1.100
Brix: 23.8%
P.A.: 12.4% ABV
Primary Fermentation

Jan 6, 2011
SG: 1.100
Brix: 23.8%
P.A.: 12.4% ABV
2 c. Water
The yeast has stalled because of what we believe is too high of an acidity. In order to off-set this we used 2 cups of water. If nothing is changed by tomorrow I may add more water until the wine starts to ferment.

Jan 8, 2011
SG: 1.090
The specific gravity is definitely a product of the 2 cups of water added on the 6th, but when I gave it a stir it looks as if the yeast is doing a little something. So, to aid the yeast a little more I added 4 more cups of water. The new SG is 1.075. The original yield was 1 gallon, but my fermentation bucket is almost full with nearly 2 gallons.

Jan 9, 2011
SG: 1.050
Brix: 12.4%
P.A.: 6.2% ABV
Good to see the fermentation doing so well.

Jan 10, 2011
Racked the wine into secondary container.

Feb 28, 2011
Racked

April 27, 2011
Bottled

Call me the Post Lazarus, I bring them back from the dead.

I got to looking at the EC Kraus destructions for making cranberry wine. It called for 15 pounds of cranberries. A little Google searching told me that there are 440 cranberries in a pound and 4400 in a gallon of juice. So...I got a gallon of juice, inverted 4 pounds of cane sugar with a little lemon juice as the acid, added some pectic enzyme, tannin, yeast nutrient and yeast energizer and enough water to get it to the 5 gallon mark. EC-1118 yeast. I plan to use some Brewers Best flavoring to enhance the cranberry flavor a little. In any case, I'll see what happens.

Yeah, but was it 100% juice? The 27% whatever they sell in the stores is excellent for making it straight, no water added.
If it wasn't 100%, you'll be looking at realllllly light wine.

Ya, 27%. I suppose I can hit it with some Ksorb and back sweeten with some frozen concentrate to make it a little more palatable. On the other hand it does look like it's fermenting along quite nicely.

Lol lets get this thread rolling again!

I woke up this morning and remembered I had 3 1/2 pounds of cranberrys I had gotten for 6 dollars from a Walmart reduced rack. I also remembered I had a can of cranberry frozen concentrate (Minute Maid) in my freezer I said why not let's make wine! My recipe is as follows

3 1/2 pounds frozen cranberries
4 liters of water
2.2 pounds of sugar
1 Camden tablet
1 teaspoon of nutrient
1/4 teaspoon of pectin enzym
1 1/4 teaspoon of acid blend
1 can of frozen cranberry concentrate (minute maid)
Ec-1118
My SG was 1.70

I boiled all the water to a rolling boil added all the ingredients besides the yeast into my cleaned and sanitized bucket, added all my frozen berries to my paint strainer bag and poured the water over them and all the ingredients and mixed well. After a little while I took the berries back out and smashed them in the pot into a paste and re added them to the paint strainer bag then put the lid on loosing and am currently allowing to cool to 70 degrees F. Ill be pitching the yeast later on today.

�� Hoping it works out but I'm very confident in my recipe and methods

I tried to ferment oceanspray cranberry juice(the kind with added sugar) and it didn't ferment at all. After a week I gave up and dumped it

Distillers yeast. It worked for other things(Welch's white grape juice, Concord grape juice, Mead) I even added raisins and yeast nutrient. Not sure why it didn't go.

Try Lalvin EC-1118. It works well in Skeeter pee and lemon juice is roughly the same ph as cranberry juice.

Back