1/2'' Silicone tubing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use zip ties and a tie wrap gun:

Zip ties are dirt cheap and I got the tie wrap gun for about $8 at Harbor Freight. The zip ties don't chew up the tubing like the worm clamps do and I've had zero problems with leaks.

We do this on a bunch of the sink and toilet hoses on airplanes. Same silicone hose too. Works like a champ.

I personally have never seen food grade 1/2" silicone tubing at any HD.
1.jpg
28.jpg
3.jpg
5.jpg
4.jpg
29.jpg

I got 10 metres of 1/2" EPDM (diary wash down hose, FDA certified food grade) for about $50 delivered. Opaque white, quite thick walls, fairly stiff, good to over 100°C.

alien said:
I got 10 metres of 1/2" EPDM (diary wash down hose, FDA certified food grade) for about $50 delivered. Opaque white, quite thick walls, fairly stiff, good to over 100°C.

Link?

Here in the U.S., silicone tubing runs in the neighborhood of $2 to $4 a foot. Chinese import is at the bottom end of the price spectrum and name brand U.S. extruded is at the high end. I believe I have the lowest price on very clear U.S. extruded material. It gets even better if you buy a 100' box.

The earlier mention of NB's $1.65/ft stuff is not silicone but thermoplastic. It's also high temp but you can't see through it and it's not so great at stretching over large barbs. Certainly better than PVC, but not quite as good as silicone.

Something else that might be worth considering is this stuff:

http://www.hoseworld.com/acatalog/food_quality_hose.html

BREWERSHOSE.gif

BREWERS SUCTION & DELIVERY HOSE
RED COLOUR NR/SBR COVER
TEXTILE REINFORCEMENT
WHITE EPDM FDA KTW & BGVV APPROVED LINING - NON TASTING / NON TAINTING
SUITABLE FOR BEERS, WINES AND ALCHOHOLIC DRINKS

EPDM lining means high temperature. I have seen this hose in brewery builds but don't know where to buy it in the USA.

I suspect it is this stuff: "Alispir red food hose"

http://www.grene.com/shop/action/it....+ALISPIR,EPDM+FDA+QUAL.+Dim.+1"++(25x36,5mm)

Messing with anything other than silicone is a recipe for cancer. Just get hose from Bobby M and live a happy healthy life and take pride in knowing you are supporting a fellow enthusiast.

Your words, not his. Bobby is the greatest in my eyes.

I'll take my chances with the FDA approved, food grade certified, high temperature dairy hose.

Back