New to all-grain. Is Blichmann best?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IF I could roll back the clock and start over, I'd go direct to keggles once I went all grain. For me, making them isn't difficult (it's a bit of work, but with good tools it's not hard) and I actually like designing and building them.

I have two systems, one with keggles, my only beef with them is the weight and thermal mass. I do see why people go with 15g kettles instead. But you can't complain about the cost.

But, IF it was true, then you would only be able to use certain malts, and hops with it. Using anything else would not work right, cause a kettle malfunction, or give unpredictable results. :eek: Plus the warranty coverage would be a joke and not cover anything that could actually break (for any reason). Plus, they would actually cost about 10x what they currently do, or 20x what you could get any other kettle for (with the same, or better features).

Awww. :(

That's how I used to view Apple products... until I got a MacBook Pro. I initially insisted that it was only so that I could code programs for iOS and Macs, but I really quickly fell in love with how it simply just works. A lot less frustrations than with my Windows desktop (that I built) and a slick design to boot!

Still, despite how much I enjoy using it, I could do pretty much all the same things on my wife's $350 Toshiba laptop. So yeah, the Blichmann = Apple. :p

Awww. :(

That's how I used to view Apple products... until I got a MacBook Pro. I initially insisted that it was only so that I could code programs for iOS and Macs, but I really quickly fell in love with how it simply just works. A lot less frustrations than with my Windows desktop (that I built) and a slick design to boot!

Still, despite how much I enjoy using it, I could do pretty much all the same things on my wife's $350 Toshiba laptop. So yeah, the Blichmann = Apple. :p
:off:
I supported Mac users for too many years to like the systems anymore. If I could ditch my iPod touch, in the truck, I would in a heartbeat. But my stereo head unit likes to stream Pandora through it better than my Droid Razr. At least for now it does. I'll probably see if I can get it to work as well (or close enough to not matter) and then ditch the ipod completely.

I got frustrated too many times by apple 'support' to give it any value. The apple mentality just pisses me off too. I had an issue with one of their servers, but they refused to believe it was a hardware issue. Didn't matter how much proof I sent them, it was never their sheet that stunk. I finally just took it offline and figured out a more stable solution.

I hold to the Blichmann:Snap-On correlation much more. At least both are highly useful to a wide range of people who don't need to figure new crap out with each update. :tank::drunk:

I think the Boilermaker line and all the other Blichmann bling is so fun to look at in the store, and some of the products make tons of sense. But I'm still happy with my 15 gallon kettle with a ball valve assembly. It has everything I need and nothing I don't.

Someone help me out please. I do not have the Blichmann yet but according to their website, the pot is 16.5" tall. So far most of the immersion wort chillers I have found run about 15" tall. Will these wort chillers work in the pot? It's my understanding that the top of the wort chiller needs to stick out of the pot. I'm confused. One more question, the guy selling the wort chiller for $50 also said he would throw in his Mash tun (homemade with a rect type cooler) and a yeast starter (a growler with an airlock on top). Is that a better deal? And since his wort chiller does not have the bend pointing out of the pot, could it be rebent to a shape that is more appropriate?

Yes, the bend needs to clear the lip of the kettle.
Can you get pics of the mash tun? That might make it a much better deal if it has a nice valve and a braid or manifold installed and he will throw that in with the chiller all for the same price.

This cooler was $20. The ball valve assembly and cpvc pipe and components cost roughly $20-30. So yes, it's a good deal if the cooler has been modified.

igloo_52qt_cooler.jpg

Someone help me out please. I do not have the Blichmann yet but according to their website, the pot is 16.5" tall. So far most of the immersion wort chillers I have found run about 15" tall. Will these wort chillers work in the pot? It's my understanding that the top of the wort chiller needs to stick out of the pot. I'm confused. One more question, the guy selling the wort chiller for $50 also said he would throw in his Mash tun (homemade with a rect type cooler) and a yeast starter (a growler with an airlock on top). Is that a better deal? And since his wort chiller does not have the bend pointing out of the pot, could it be rebent to a shape that is more appropriate?

Yes, that chiller would work. The chiller wouldn't have to reach all the way down to the bottom of the pot. It would interfere with the dip tube.

A chiller, mash tun and a growler for $50? Yeah, that's probably a good deal.

Copper is very bendable.

Yes, the bend needs to clear the lip of the kettle.
Can you get pics of the mash tun? That might make it a much better deal if it has a nice valve and a braid or manifold installed and he will throw that in with the chiller all for the same price.

Here are a couple pics of the Mash tun. And here is a youtube video he made of him brewing beer. I don't know how old the video is so the equipment may not be in the same condition as in the video. [ame]http://youtu.be/J_ZsAIlIEIo[/ame]

Mash tun 1.jpg

Mash tun 2.jpg

One more thing, my local home brew store had a kettle valve and screen for around $35 to convert my cooler to a mash tun. It would cost more than buying the individual parts but it would be all stainless steel instead of brass fittings.

One more thing, my local home brew store had a kettle valve and screen for around $35 to convert my cooler to a mash tun. It would cost more than buying the individual parts but it would be all stainless steel instead of brass fittings.

Are you sure you aren't getting into brewing yourself? You will be the most knowledgeable non-brewer on this forum.

I personally stayed away from the LHBS for all of my valves and piping. As much as I try to support them, I want to save some money also. The brass can be "conditioned" for lack of a better term. John Palmer discusses this method somewhere, I'm thinking in his book. Anyway, if you are paranoid the small amount of brass that contacts wort or beer will affect it, there's a way to de-lead the outer layer using vinegar and peroxide.

I stand by the cooler conversion parts I sent you in the PM the other day. Stainless ball valves have zero risks associated with them (there are some with brass/bronze depending where they are made, which is virtually impossible to find out if what you're buying is made in a safe way/area). Plus, with the 3 piece valve, you can completely take it apart, without removing it from the mash tun, clean it really well and then put it back together again. For that reason (among others) it's the only type I'm using. IMO, well worth the cost difference. Besides, I think it would add to the gift factor if YOU made him the mash tun from the cooler. Not just buy someone else's mash tun.

If your LHBS has all the parts you'll need (washers, valve, screen, etc.), to me, that's worth a couple extra bucks the convenience. It took me awhile to track down all those fittings in lowe's. Then I had to go to four different stores to find the right size washers (not all 5/8 ss fender washers are created equal and lowe's and hd didn't even have 5/8 ss washers). Plus, they might even help you assemble the thing.

OK, here's my quick update. I am getting my blichmann this afternoon and I did get the stainless ball valve, etc from my LHBS and i went to Lowes to pick up parts for a wort chiller but it seems as if my local stores only carry 20' or 50' copper coil. Is 20' going to be enough?

I would get the 50'. I would make a chiller with at least 30-35 of it, then use the remaining to make a small coil for a "pre-chiller". If you have hot tap water during the summer, you would put the pre-chiller in some icewater to cool it down prior to sending it through the main chiller.

20' is pretty short.

I would get the 50'. I would make a chiller with at least 30-35 of it, then use the remaining to make a small coil for a "pre-chiller". If you have hot tap water during the summer, you would put the pre-chiller in some icewater to cool it down prior to sending it through the main chiller.

20' is pretty short.

That sounds like a pretty smart idea. I guess I will do that but that means now I will have to figure out how to make 2 instead of just one...and figureout how to cut copper :( i assume there is a tool for that?

That sounds like a pretty smart idea. I guess I will do that but that means now I will have to figure out how to make 2 instead of just one...and figureout how to cut copper :( i assume there is a tool for that?

Do a test with the 50' coil before you buy it (if they let you or don't stop you). See how easy/hard it is to bend compared with the 20' coil. The stuff at the Lowe's I got mine from had different wall thickness between the two coils. So, while the 20' was pretty easy to form, the 50' was a total pain in the ass to try and form. What's on the shelf at the store by you could be different, but [IMO] it's best to check before you buy it, get it home, and start trying to bend/form it. Unless you have a good friend that's also a plumber and has the tools to do the forming for you that is.

Do a test with the 50' coil before you buy it (if they let you or don't stop you). See how easy/hard it is to bend compared with the 20' coil. The stuff at the Lowe's I got mine from had different wall thickness between the two coils. So, while the 20' was pretty easy to form, the 50' was a total pain in the ass to try and form. What's on the shelf at the store by you could be different, but [IMO] it's best to check before you buy it, get it home, and start trying to bend/form it. Unless you have a good friend that's also a plumber and has the tools to do the forming for you that is.

Thanks for the tip. I will definately check into that. I do know a plumber but I doubt he wants to give up his time to help me. Do you think that the PSI of copper has anything to do with how thick the coil is? I did see some PSI ratings on the Lowe's website and wondered if that would make a difference.

If you're doing the DIY route, I know some HBT members have bought their copper from this site, https://coppertubingsales.com/store...=21_117_119&osCsid=ja2d9jrksa5ki29phti4l83ve4. They have much better prices than Lowe's and HD. Personally, I prefer a 50' chiller.

If you're going to cut the tubing, you'll need an inexpensive pipe cutter. To use one, you tighten the cutting wheels so they touch the pipe, not tightening too much as to avoid kinking the pipe. You spin the cutter around the pipe a few times, further tighten the cutting wheels and repeat until the pipe is completely cut. It's actually pretty easy.

I guess another option is to buy one. I have one of morebeer's 50' super chillers. It's definitely well built and I like having the garden hose fittings on it. My wife bought it for me last Christmas.

If you're not used to (or have at least a bit of experience) bending soft copper, it can be an issue. If you don't do it right you'll get ugly/nasty kinks that will restrict the chill water flow and be potential leak points. You can get the spring bending tools, but what are you going to do with those after? By the time you're done, it might have been better/cheaper to just buy one that's made by more experienced people.

This is a tuffy. Your buying tools for the evolution of a brewer; where in his journey is he and what tools will help him? Blichmann is good stuff, but cost a lot. 10gal will work for up to 6 gallon batches. Do you guys have a keg set up? That is a lot more cut and dry. Kegging is kegging.

This is a tuffy. Your buying tools for the evolution of a brewer; where in his journey is he and what tools will help him? Blichmann is good stuff, but cost a lot. 10gal will work for up to 6 gallon batches. Do you guys have a keg set up? That is a lot more cut and dry. Kegging is kegging.

Not sure what a Keg system consists of. He currently does 5 gal extract batches. He has a 5 gal pot that he makes it all in on the stove top, has the 5 gal plastic buckets and a glass carboy for fermenting. He has never "cooled" anything with special equipment other than throwing ice cubes in it at the end. Does that make sense?

Well, now I'm back to debating the wort chiller, DIY or buy? Looks like 50' chillers cost around $100 but you can get 50' of copper for $45 plus the fittings (maybe $10 total) or buy a 25' around $60-$70. So buy a 25' premade for the same price as making a 50' possibly wrong?? What a dilemma! I have 21 days to figure it out and wrap it :)

If you are not comfortable cutting copper (it's pretty easy actually) then just take the 50' and coil it up. Find something 8-9" in diameter to wrap the tubing around. I used a corny keg but you might have a smaller diameter pot or something you could use. Then just put some tubing on it with garden hose fittings on the end (use hose clamps). He can always makea prechiller later, if he's really into it and conditions require.

Just my 2 cents but I would stop at blichmann and chiller. That's a big step forward, then let him consider the all-grain as a next step.

Well, now I'm back to debating the wort chiller, DIY or buy? Looks like 50' chillers cost around $100 but you can get 50' of copper for $45 plus the fittings (maybe $10 total) or buy a 25' around $60-$70. So buy a 25' premade for the same price as making a 50' possibly wrong?? What a dilemma! I have 21 days to figure it out and wrap it :)

Personally, I'd hold off buying the chiller. Your boyfriend / husband might have some personal preferences on whether he wants an immersion chiller, a home-made counter-flow chiller or a commercially made counter-flow plate chiller. Some people really like the immersion chillers, but I strongly prefer a counter-flow chiller.

If he's got some time off around Christmas and can't wait to use his new brew equipment but wants a chiller before he uses it, he could make a chiller in no time flat after a trip to the hardware store.

Latest update...I now have a shiny Blichmann 10 gal pot ready for all grain and a 50' immersion wort chiller made by yours truly and I think it turned out pretty well if I do say so myself. I have all the parts to convert the cooler to the mashtun and then his Christmas present will be complete...just add a few bottles of something yummy already made to enjoy while doing his homebrewing and hopefully he will think I am the best wify around :)

Latest update...I now have a shiny Blichmann 10 gal pot ready for all grain and a 50' immersion wort chiller made by yours truly and I think it turned out pretty well if I do say so myself. I have all the parts to convert the cooler to the mashtun and then his Christmas present will be complete...just add a few bottles of something yummy already made to enjoy while doing his homebrewing and hopefully he will think I am the best wify around :)

Sounds like you did great. If he's not ecstatic he's nuts!!
:mug:

Awesome! Your husband is a lucky man. Have fun brewing together :)

Ha! I won't be brewing with him unless he decides to brew up a batch of rum and coke. This hobby is all his. I occasionally help him siphon and bottle but that's as far as it goes.

I will take some pics of the stuff when it's all done. I'd like everyone's opinion on the wort chiller. I had a slight issue when making my last bend that goes over the side of the kettle so I am hoping it will still work.

Ha! I won't be brewing with him unless he decides to brew up a batch of rum and coke. This hobby is all his.
That's just so sad... :(

I occasionally help him siphon and bottle but that's as far as it goes.

I have a comment about being better at suction, but I'll keep it 'G' rated... :eek:

I will take some pics of the stuff when it's all done. I'd like everyone's opinion on the wort chiller. I had a slight issue when making my last bend that goes over the side of the kettle so I am hoping it will still work.

Do you have, or did you post, a picture? They sell the spring tubing bender tools at most hardware stores. Makes tighter bends a lot easier. I actually have a set from when I started making my own IC's (before upgrading to a plate chiller)...

That's just so sad... :(

I have a comment about being better at suction, but I'll keep it 'G' rated... :eek:

Do you have, or did you post, a picture? They sell the spring tubing bender tools at most hardware stores. Makes tighter bends a lot easier. I actually have a set from when I started making my own IC's (before upgrading to a plate chiller)...

HaHa! I haven't taken a picture but I will. I had to construct it and leave it elsewhere so that he doesn't find it. THis stuff is not exactly the easiest stuff to hide. My plumber cousin let me borrow his pipe bending tool which helped immensely! Like I said, just one issue at the very end. I bent it with not enough length for it to stick far enough out of the kettle for my liking so I tried to rebend it. It worked out ok. I'll try to get a picture soon.

If you make it so that the ends, outside the kettle, are bent so they're facing down, it's better. That way, any drips/leaks will (by virtue of physics and gravity) drip outside the kettle (unless he has the ends inside the kettle rim :eek:).

Sign up for the premium membership (support the site) so you both can access the boneyard and post up some 'interesting' pictures. :eek: My eyes, MY EYES!!! lol

If you make it so that the ends, outside the kettle, are bent so they're facing down, it's better. That way, any drips/leaks will (by virtue of physics and gravity) drip outside the kettle (unless he has the ends inside the kettle rim :eek:).

Sign up for the premium membership (support the site) so you both can access the boneyard and post up some 'interesting' pictures. :eek: My eyes, MY EYES!!! lol

Wish I would have know it was okay to have the ends curved down outside the kettle before. That's how it was on accident so I try to straighten it and now it doesn't look as pretty. I just hope its functional. Here are pics of what I have completed so far. I did have a leak when I tested it but I was afraid to tighten the clamos too tight and that was my problem. No leaks now :)

DSCF8781 (630x800).jpg

DSCF8783 (592x800).jpg

Well? What the heck happened? I want to see video of him jumping for joy around the Christmas tree like a little boy.

Well? What the heck happened? I want to see video of him jumping for joy around the Christmas tree like a little boy.

The gift was a success. I think he was a little overwhelmed but happy. he definately wasn't expecting all of it. He ended up with the Blichman pot, my 50' homemade wort chiller which i am so proud of, the homemade mashtun, and a new growler ect for doing yeast starters, topped it off with some hop flavored candy for his stocking and a few bottles of beer! And I got a 6 Qt Kitchenaid so we are all happy!!!

I am sure he will be joining this forum soon to get some all grain brewing advice so hopefully he will love it as much as I have. You guys have all just been great!! Merry Christmas and happy brewing!! :tank:

Back