PM take 2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unionrdr

Homebrewer, author & air gun collector
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Well,my 5lbs of grains came in from midwest yesterday,& I just got back from a run to the LHBS. Ever have to drive 11M+ at 25-30mph? :mad:! I needed a 3lb bag of Munton's plain light DME to go with the grains. I switched to it from the Breiss gold LME last time. OG goes up a couple points according to BS2. Now things start to go south. He had no 3lb bags of anything till they come in next week. So I bought the 1lb of light & 2/1lb bags of extra light he did have. Pi$$ed me off that it cost me $15.75 vs the $13 it would've been if he had my usual. So I gotta go back into beersmith & make the needed changes to get the new numbers. Here's the ingredients I've wound up with;
2lb Rahr 2-row
2lb Marris Otter-crisp
.5lb crystal 20L
.5lb carapils
1lb Munton's plain light DME
2lb Munton's plain extra light DME
Super Alpha .5oz@ 60 min
Motueka 1oz @ 20 mins
Pacifica 1oz @ 10 mins
2/7g packets Cooper's ale yeast,rehydrated
5 gallons total FV volume
Measured OG 1.046
Est FG 1.010
IBU 42.3
SRM 4.6
From my own experiences,I think this one will be a bit darker than BS2 shows,but we'll see. This gunna get more interesting between the last batch & what BS2 says. What say you? Beersmith is new to me,so comments will be great!:tank:

I also find it kind of odd that BS2 lists est OG 1.036. But Est OG range of 1.045-1,060. Then measured OG as 1.046. I could use a lil clarification on this aspect of the software's estimates vs what it says is actual?...

The measured OG is for you to input for record keeping purposes. Est OG is the OG as BS2 sees it and most of the time it is pretty dead on. Try playing around with the equipment profile and make sure you have the "Type" set to "Partial Mash". Using a 3 gallon setup your recipe is giving me an estimated OG of 1.052.

It has been my experience that BeerSmith is a little off with SRM but not by that much. I only see a problem when I do 90 minute boils because of caramelization.

Not that you asked, but is there any reason you are using pale 2 row and Maris Otter instead of all Maris Otter? I think my bias is showing. I love MO.

I've started playing around with settings in My Equipment. After sparging,I try to wind up with 3G in my 5G SSBK. Est pre-boil volume is 3.23G,& I do have it set to partial mash. And I also set up for partial boils in My Equipment as well. I like the English flavors I've been geting in my extract brews with Muton's plain DME. So I thought to add some of that flavor by subbing Marris Otter with half the 2-row in the recipe list from the cascade pale ale I based my amounts on for doing my own pm. I also changed the crystal 10L for 20L to get a bit more UK accent & color in the beer. Thought it'd pare nicely with the MO. And since I have about a pound of NZ hops,I was itching to try them in a pale ale.

Well,so far this morning I've got the Cooper's micro brew FV cleaned one more time,rinsed & dried. Got out all the grains,yeast,& hops I'll be using for my pm version of my Sunset Gold pale ale. Gotta get the mash water going in a bit.
The crush from midwest was def better this time,so I'll go with that so I wind up with less of that silty,floury stuff. Dang time post,it's 11:33am.

Well,hell. Havin trouble with these new sensative burners maintaining mash temps again. Up to 158F,down to 148F,turned burner from "1" back up to "2". Dang! This is it...gunna build a small mash tun cooler. F'this. If I can just figure out how to get the stable mash temp I want,the rest would be a breeze. These mash temps are the only thing messin me up with this pm stuff.
1:03PM-1.5G sparge done with 165F water. Niot much hot btreak this time. But I did keep it stirred to a swirl. Maybe that's it. got first hop going,super alpha .5oz bittering.

Well,all said & done,it still came out pretty c;ose. Chilled wort & topped of to 19L in Cooper's micro brew FV (about 5.16USG). Got OG1.043! Crush must've been too course for biab.

unionrdr said:
Well,hell. Havin trouble with these new sensative burners maintaining mash temps again. Up to 158F,down to 148F,turned burner from "1" back up to "2". Dang! This is it...gunna build a small mash tun cooler. F'this. If I can just figure out how to get the stable mash temp I want,the rest would be a breeze. These mash temps are the only thing messin me up with this pm stuff.

I used a calculator to determine strike temp, heated to that point with a paint strainer bag already in my bk, added my grains and stirred it up to ensure the grains were all wetted (which was easy because I used way more water than a typical mash ratio - what I read said BIAB benefitted from a thinner mash...true? Who knows?). Anyway, I covered it and stuck it in the oven which was preheated to 170*f and then turned off. Mash went in at 158 and came out at 154.

The only problems were not ensuring the strike water was heated to the right temperature (I didn't mix well enough to get an accurate reading because of the strainer bag) and in the future, I will take the bk out a couple times to re-stir to increase efficiency. I'll also probably turn the oven on and off a couple times to try to keep the temp just a little higher. Not that I can complain much about a 4 degree drop.

Anyway, I'm long winded, but maybe try the oven method. Pretty simple, effective, and hands off. Just make sure ahead of time your kettle will fit in your oven. Mine was really tight.

Good luck keeping the temp steady, by this method or any other. Cheers.

Not sure my 5G kettle will fit the oven. Just barely maybe. Def gotta come up with better mash temp control. That & I guess I should have used the mini food processesor on pulse like last time to get a finer crush. OG came out to 1.043 rather than about 1.050 or so. Boil off was 1.25G too. Hope I didn't loose too much hop profile. But I did try using spring water this time,so that might've helped.
Pitched 14g of creamy yeast at 66F,so all good there. Not much krausen yet,but we'll see as the day progresses.

Well,no bubble action yet. But the Cooper's 7G or so of total volume with 5 gallons (19L) of beer in it leaves a good size head space. The airlock is showing that it has a little pressure on it,so that's good so far. A little krausen,& the cold break/trub is starting to compact below the 1L mark. The few wiffs I got from the blow off,then airlock have a malty roastiness to them. Like toast,malt,& slight caramel smell,which I think is from the marris otter & crystal 20L.

The NZ hops gave the beer a bright fruity lime taste. Quite the cheerfull flavor. Color is like a pilsner/light lager,nice head. Havin trouble getting it to clear in a week,so this round of bottles gets 2 weeks. Friday,3/1 gunna order supplies again & get some 5 star super moss. That ought to fix the clarity issue.
I already have v2 in the fermenter with German ale/kolsh yeast,WL029 & German/Czech hops. NZ bittering hop. It's past initial fermentation by a few days at this point,1 week in primary today.

That sounds good! I was planing on using them this weekend in the Cottage House Sasion along with some select spalt hops. Hopefully the flavor profile goes right with the orange blossom honey. Cheers!

I'm going to use up 6 or 7 ounces of the NZ hops in March & make a NZ IPA. Partial mash with;
2lbs Marris Otter (crisp)
2lbs Pale malt (crisp)
1/2lb Caramel 40L
1/2lb Carapils
Maybe 4oz Carahell (Weyrman's)
3lbs Munton's plain light DME
NZ hops TBD
WL029 Kolsh yeast (washed)
Spring water,5G batch
I'm going to try to get that amber/orange color I did with my AE version.

Back