Barleywine time frame?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MacGruber

Reaction score
Want to make a barley wine now that I've upgraded my equipment and can handle large amounts of grain. I would like this to be ready for December. When would you all brew a big barley wine?

everyone I talked to, it ages for 8 months at least, just like imperial russian stout.

That's what I figured. I guess it will have to wait until next year.

That's what I figured. I guess it will have to wait until next year.

No, brew it now, and leave it til the following Christmas. This isn't something with a limited shelf life...The bigger you make it, the longer it will take to come together. And the better it will be.

I have a Barleywine that I brewed and will have aged it 5 years before drinking.

If you want to brew a barleywine now, brew it....don't change the brew date, change the serving date.

Gotta agree w/ Revvy (who doesn't), I brewed a BW in Apr 2011 that is just now coming in to it's own. Oak and hops are mellowing nicely. A 10.4% and 96 IBU beer is becoming a very nice sipper. I brewed another BW (~9% and 106 IBU) in May of this year that I hope is ready before I leave the island in Nov of '13. Brew now, drink later :mug:

You could also do a 1.080's range English style Barleywine and have it ready for Christmas (perhaps not at its peak flavor, but still good).

I have one that I will be bottling in a week or two. I may try one at Thanksgiving, just to see where its at. It'll be a better a month later at Christmas.

I plan to brew the same beer again (if its good) over the next couple of years and have a vertical tasting to compare them.

Brew it. Try it green. Try it again a month or two later. And again. Why not? It's your beer my friend!

I have a BW in primary right now that will go to secondary in a couple weeks (4 wks in primary), and it will be in secondary until the middle of November (8 wks).

Hoping to try one or two at Christmas, but will let the rest age and see how they are over time.

I am planning to get smaller bottles (6 oz, or 187ml) if i can find some that aren't clear; that has been tough so far. I will have more bottles to sample over time that way! ;)

I brewed one back on July 1st, just bottled it a couple days ago. 1.101 OG, finished around 1.021, 10.7%-ish ABV. It was delicious right out of the fermenter. I'll probably try one on Thanksgiving, but it might not be even full carbonated by then. I'm going to keep as much of it as I can though until at least Christmas 2013.

I agree with everyone else, though: stay with your plan and brew it now and just drink it next year sometime.

I have a BW in primary right now that will go to secondary in a couple weeks (4 wks in primary), and it will be in secondary until the middle of November (8 wks).

Hoping to try one or two at Christmas, but will let the rest age and see how they are over time.

I am planning to get smaller bottles (6 oz, or 187ml) if i can find some that aren't clear; that has been tough so far. I will have more bottles to sample over time that way! ;)

I have some 8oz coke and dr pepper bottles I use mainly for lemonade,you could use them just keep them out of the light because they are clear.

I have some 8oz coke and dr pepper bottles I use mainly for lemonade,you could use them just keep them out of the light because they are clear.

I was able to get some 7oz green champagne bottles from a wine supply store that I used for my Barleywine. The brew day was sometime in June and I plan on cracking open one bottle to drink with a friend around Christmas. The rest will be aged until next Christmas.

I recently found three six packs of Barleywine I made back in March 2009. It's absolutely fantastic. As everyone's said, never wait to brew a barleywine, wait to drink it. The truth is, I generally start drinking mine about 3-4 months after brewing, but I try to limit it until it gets really aged. I strongly recommend you "lose" as six pack of it somewhere in your house. Future you will be very thankful.

Back