Nano-Magic

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sanibel14

Reaction score
Sabco's new 2bbl system unveiled at the CBC expo. Pretty tight!

nano-magic.jpg

No info yet. Assuming the brew-magic runs around 8,ooo this has to be at least 25 g's but probably more. Dogfish Head had a hand in designing this. But why come out with a 2bbl system? Can't make any money with it. Seems like the brew-magic would be the better choice for recipe development simply because its more compact.

this is actually pretty good! i love the idea....
there is a brew shop here in portland that also has their own bar in the back with their beer. and they brew 15 gallon batches at a time.
They just got 45 gallon jacketed fermentors, so this would be wonderful for them.

Wow that's beautiful!! I am sure it is overpriced but it still looks nice. As someone who is looking into the nano route all I have to say is...if you are looking at a 2bbl system you might as well look at a 3, 5, or 7 bbl system.

I had a feeling something like this was in the works.

Also: @ sanibel14 Can't make any money on 2bbl? I think that's been roundly disproved. Hell, Hess has been brewing <400bbl each year on a 1.6bbl system out of what is essentially an 800sqft storage unit and has made enough money to not only run the place, but expand into a 30bbl brewhouse in a new building, renovate the property, build a proper tasting room, and buy a canning line.

This thing will be expensive (I think 25k is pretty conservative), but I think it'll be cheap for such a nice, turnkey system.

This would be a great way to start out a nice lil nano brewery....right up my alley....I am however a lil scared to see the price....lol.

Here it is guys..... You ready?.... 90,000.00! Beautiful system but you can buy a 15bbl for less. Used of course.

Here it is guys..... You ready?.... 90,000.00! Beautiful system but you can buy a 15bbl for less. Used of course.

90K!! That's outrageous!! I guess it is for someone who has more money than brains.:confused: You can build a pretty nice 1 bbl system for less than 3-4K. I can't believe they actually expect anyone to buy it.

Yikes. Can't imagine anyone out there spending that much on a 2 bbl system. For pilot batches, I'd just get a Brew Magic and then use the remaining $83,000 on a real brewing system.

Wow $90,000 sure is a lot of money for the volume of beer that it produces. You can easily piece together a system that would triple the outcome of that sabco for far less. It sure is pretty but not that pretty.

Wow.....I was thinking more in the 10K to 15K range. It looks great, but at 90? I don't think they'll sell too many.

All of a sudden the $15 I paid for a pitcher of Hop Devil at the bar doesnt seem so bad. $90K is nuts!

WOW, I really didn't have any kind of estimate of what it would cost, but, WOW, $90K pretty much blew my mind.

From a Homebrew perspective this would blow anyone's mind. From a pub-brewer business perspective however, it has full touch-screen automation, fits into a tight space, and can produce 3000+bbls of commercial high quality product in a very repeatable way... By the way... someone said the kettles are not engineered for brewing? Are you kidding? You really need to price an 80gal. SS steam jacketed vessel. These tilt and are customized as well. Better have 12 g's just for one of them! Pubs are not always interested in big volumes. Small, high quality systems are just as pricey as big ones...particularly if they have all these bells and whistles... This is pretty!

Is there a secondary source for the 90k price tag? I can't find anything with Google- perhaps because of its recent release.

They have a link to a pdf that has specs and pricing, on the brewmagic site. It's about $80,000 for the complete system.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/rz7nj6i97em9yab/F9I6CGoln_?v=0swn

If you are limited on space, I guess this would make sense, but for that price, I'd be looking at a bigger system, if I were to go pro. The base model looks to be about the same price as a base 10 bbl system. I suppose their big selling point is the electronics though.

The pricing makes sense when you think about what it would cost to assemble a comparble system yourself, and then attempt to sell it at retail (3X at least to cover overhead and profit). It's not a bargain of the century, but you can bet it works, and works well.

This is a fully 'touch-screen' automated, steam driven commercial system. It's not a home brewery. Yes, you can buy bigger systems for similar prices, however, many small pubs don't have the space, need to satisfy only 150 chairs, and have no intention of getting bigger. These 'mom & pop' pubs are everywhere and seek high quality repeatability and especially automation because their hands are typically busier than larger scale brew-houses. Base system is approx. 52k. Very nice stuff and all N.American made. Ask Sam Calagione at Dogfish. It's his new pilot system at Rehoboth Beach.

SABCO-0037web.jpg

the_trout said:
All of a sudden the $15 I paid for a pitcher of Hop Devil at the bar doesnt seem so bad. $90K is nuts!

$15 for a pitcher of DD is a great price considering your in NY .. I live 1 mile from brewery and when i had 3 of them they were $12 .. So exchanging hands twice before u get and a few hundred miles $3 isnt bad..

As far as this 90k 2bbl system... WTF! As previously mentioned used, larger systems are far more inexpensive!

This is a fully 'touch-screen' automated, steam driven commercial system. It's not a home brewery. Yes, you can buy bigger systems for similar prices, however, many small pubs don't have the space, need to satisfy only 150 chairs, and have no intention of getting bigger. These 'mom & pop' pubs are everywhere and seek high quality repeatability and especially automation because their hands are typically busier than larger scale brew-houses. Base system is approx. 52k. Very nice stuff and all N.American made. Ask Sam Calagione at Dogfish. It's his new pilot system at Rehoboth Beach.

SABCO-0037web.jpg

I don't know...bells and whistles are nice but they don't necessarily make great beer.

Some small pub brewers simply don't want that much volume. It costs more of everything to support it. A 4 bbl fermenter costs almost as much as a 10 bbl. ( 7-10K for a new one ) The only difference is the height of the cylinder in the middle. The labor and hardware is identical. It's the same with most all of the other hardware. All the same except for volume. For sure, Chinese is cheaper... but I'm not sure I'd want to stake my wort on it. I've heard of some horror stories. I'll stick with N.American products.

Ask Sam Calagione at Dogfish. It's his new pilot system at Rehoboth Beach.
Dogfish also helped with the design of the setup too. If you read the PDF, it mentions that as part of the deal, Dogfish gets exactly $1 for each Nano-magic sold.

To quote Sam:

I intentionally struck a 'crappy' deal with SABCO. Dogfish will get one dollar for every Nano&#8208;Magic they sell! My ultimate goal here isto see the continuation of a vibrant craft brewing community. It's more about pride and less about money. We were happy to revisit our roots with SABCO and became involved in the Nano&#8208;Magic project. I now look forward to watching others succeed in this great industry. Repeatable high quality blended with a bit of off&#8208;centered passion, will help to assure this continued growth. Cheers.

Pretty cool if you ask me. Paying it forward, for the greater good of craft brewing, etc. (Which at the end of the day will also help him of course, even though he's publicly stated that he doesn't want to company to expand any more).

Kal

I wonder if there is anyone else out there besides Sam that owns one who might be able to give their thoughts?

I wonder if there is anyone else out there besides Sam that owns one who might be able to give their thoughts?

I suggest making a post on pro-brewer or the BA forums. Not too many HBTers are going to buy a system like that.

PS, this is an old thread. There ARE lots of Brewmagic owners on this forum fwiw. Myself being one of them.

Back