Hydrometer Issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmanzee

Reaction score
I'm fermenting my 6th batch now and had great yeast activation.. My starting gravity ended up being 1.033. This seams very low as the kit I purchases has an estimated gravity of 1.055 to 1.065. Is this low reading cause I did a partial boil and will that affect the alcohol content of the beer? Should I be taking this reading before adding water into the wort?

the turkey fryer is on its way...

I had my first blowout on this batch and foam was all over the floor is this a good sign?

If this was an extract kit and you ended up with the correct final amount in the fermenter it is close to impossible to not hit the OG the kit says you should be hitting. With extracts the sugar conversion is already done for you.

You should be taking the reading after adding water to the wort. Be sure to shake/mix it all up very good, if you didn't that could be why your reading was so low.

It was a partial extract with 8 pounds of LME and 3 pounds of grain. The More Beer directions didnt have a final gravity listed
Its been over two weeks now and just tested it (1.018) it just stopped bubbeling two days ago (tastes great considering moving it to my new keg tonight but maybe ill wait for tomorrow just to be sure its done) Any suggestions?

I'd give it a couple more days,then check it again. It may not be quite done yet. When you do get a stable FG,give it 3-7 more days to settle out clear or nearly so. Then keg it. you don't want a ton of yeast sediment in your keg.

Back