How much commercial beer do you drink at home?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calder

Reaction score
I just went and grabbed a beer from the garage. A Bud Select. I just realized that I bought them Christmas 2010, and I've not drunk much BMC beer this past year.

I guess I've not had too many Commercials, the occasional SN, and Sam Adams (always have in stock for SWMBO), some Stone and Jolly Pumpkin, and the occasional other. I think that 95%, maybe more of the beer I have had at home this year was made by me ...... and I haven't missed drinking Commercial.

i drink my regulars. mirror pond, fuller's LP, Anchor Steam, the occasional SNPA... but not nearly the amount of commercial bottles i used to, especially since we started kegging. i think we've cut the beer budget in half, including the cost of ingredients. i drink 5-8 beers a night (give or take, depending on how strong they are), and i'd say half of those are my homebrews. kinda nice, huh?!

I still love going into Whole Foods Market and picking up new craft beers. They carry a TON of Belgians plus all the Calif stuff and much more, even homebrew supplies...I do it mostly to taste the various styles.

Have not had one in past 4 months. Have a few laying around but rather drink my own.

I have had quite a few in the past 6 months or so because I've been tasting a lot of the commercial examples from the BJCP style guidelines in preparation for the exam.

I drink a lot of craft brews. they inspire me to try to brew them, especially the big ones. It is difficult to get a balance in a really big beer, and some of the commercials do such a great job: Maharaja and Breakfast Stout are two I really love.

Love to go down the pub who has a wicked selection of belgian and craft beer. It is always good for inspiration.
I also buy a local brew that come in 1l bottle with swing top. The Brew is fantastic but recycling the bottle is even better.

Not too much. Maybe a 6 pack a week. Breweries are Weihenstephan, Paulaner, Sierra Nevada, Anchor, Sam Adams.

Sam Adams I keep a half barrel on tap for my wife. I also like to follow their seasonals, though I haven't tried the Winter Lager yet.

Sierra Nevada is Kellerweis and sometimes Pale Ale.

Weihenstephan is the hefeweizen and dunkelweizen.

Paulaner is the hefeweizen and Marzen.

Anchor Steam when it's available, but their Porter is the best I ever tasted. I usually have a bottle of it with my breakfast. I'm not an alcoholic, I'm German and I'm from Wisconsin. :D

Barely any lately as its harder for me to buy craft when I have 20 gallons on tap at any given time. With me being the only drinker, it lasts long enough as it is. So I'd say a bomber or 2 a month, maybe.

I had been drinking a lot of commercial beer up until recently. My pipeline got low during the summer heat, I've been trying to explore stouts and porters more, and just general research. At least, that's what I tell SWMBO why I need to get more beer from the market. Now that I have a few cases of homebrew stocked up, I don't anticipate buying much commercial. Perhaps getting some growlers filled.

I buy too much, because there's always something interesting that intrigues me. I don't have the setup or time to brew more than a handful of times a year, and while I've gotten to the stage where the homebrew is good, i like so much variety that I'm always buying stuff.

100% of the beer i drink is commercial right now. of course that's due to the fact i haven't started brewing. lol. I will admit that its all keg beer, and all microbrews. Redhook, Allagash, Shipyard, etc. Sometimes i grab a sams, but not too often.

Yesterday I picked up Bitche's brew, and pumpkin ale and a barleywine. I still buy commercial quite regularly, even with a large pipeline, I still get cravings for something different.

I rarely buy commercial beer. Most of the commercial beer I do drink are beers friends have "compensated" me for giving them homebrew.

I live in one of the best places in the world for craft brews. I drink them a lot. Deschutes, Rogue, HopWorks, Bridgeport... So many to drink with so little time. But its my love for these quality beers that got me into home brewing.

I drink a lot of craft beers. I'm always looking for new favorites, tasting new things from different breweries, and trying out beers that I've seen popular clone recipes for. I'd hate to brew a clone of something only to find out that it doesn't taste as good as another recipe I have. During the fall and winter I end up buying more, because breweries tend to put out a lot of good seasonals during this time.

I end up drinking a 50/50 mix of homebrew and commercial craft and wouldn't want it any other way. While I generally have a good pipe line going, there is always a new craft to try or an old favorite I can't resist.

I love IPAs, so I often try different commercial ones for ideas and/or just to have something different.

I also buy lots of different styles of beer. Every time I try to brew a new style, I'll buy 2-3 commercial examples so I have something to compare my brews to.

I shop for interesting beers or beers I haven't had in a while throughout the year but mostly during spring and summer I drink homebrew but since I'm a big fan of oktoberfests and the holiday beers I usually end up drinking more commercial beer than homebrew during the cooler months.

I probably do 70% homebrew and 30% store bought. I concentrate my homebrewing on bigger beers and buy session beers

I have some store bought beers that I have been hording...I do not know if those count but I included it.

Overall I may drink 1-3 store bought beers in a month at home. I do most of my commercial sampling when I go to the bar and that is 1 time per month at the most. (We have a couple real nice craft beer places near me that rotate stock often.)

When I do buy, I perfer to get 22oz bombers or fliptop bottles; this further limits me. When I 1st started, I could not get enough DFH 90 min and a few other of there brews. They no longer distro in my state and now I do not miss them, even a little.

At home I have plenty of homebrew to get me by and I am rapidly approaching the point were store bought beer may be a thing of the past or just a special treat.

I used to go to the bottle shop every week. Spend about 40-50 buxs on the equivalent of 2-3 sixers. Now, I may go to the liquor store once every three months. Went today in fact because my mother-in-law gave me a gift card for the place for xmas. Like Reevy said, I still get the craving for something now and then.

+1 on research and also wanting something I've had that I liked. I haven't gotten to the point where I can keep my pipeline full so I go through a couple of cases a month of commercial beers. Generally good quality micros but I do like Yuengling as my hot weather man I'm thirsty beer, especially at $10 a 12 pack.

Since I started back up this year after a 13 year lay off and now that the beer I brewed is coming in steady, I don't think I have had a commercial beer. I have some Yuengling here but I don't think I downed even one of those. Those will be for my poker buddies when they come over...lol.. I look at it this way...Even a young, green beer is better then BMC..:)

0 - i drink commercial brews in pubs w/ friends, but at home it's 100% homebrew (I did get a couple of Big Belgian beers as Xmas gifts) but no commercial beer in the fridge - my pipeline currently has a nice stout, brown ale, pale ale and cider w/ a wheat beer on deck...

I honestly don't remember when I last bought a big commercial...... Or even drank one. I do pick up bombers or growlers of craft brew when ever I can. I'm lucky to live in a very beer'd area so I drink a lot of the local stuff like ROGUE, Deschutes, Ninkasi, HopWorks, Alameda, Fire on the mountain, and Full Sail..... Though I'am very fond of any and all Lagunitas brews.

I buy a good bit of craft beer. But most of mine is hard to find or if I go out of town I will bring home as many as I can so my brew friends and I can Taste them. Shoot I even take the guys at the beer store I go to beer that they can't get this will help get you stuff that is limited to them. But for the most part we drink home brew every day. A Budy came over on Monday and helped me kill a keg so we could put a new beer on tap. Took 7 beers each but we did it and after that we had two craft beers

I still buy a ton of commercial brew, I usually try to have at least a sixer, usually two, of something I like and a bunch of bombers. I only brew beers I like to drink, but two cases at a time is enough to make you tired of any beer. Plus, I prefer bombers for bottling.

We're slowly getting away from commercial, but this time of year has always been my favorite for craft beers so we've bought more than we planned. Too many good holiday brews out there to try this year...Once the holidays are over, its back to homebrew only.

i buy commercial when they interest me. i really like to try everyones saison, and Im currently trying to sample every ommegang brew.

I will buy a case every couple of months if my pipeline gets out of whack...which it is right now. But I usually get an Arrogant Bastard Bomber every other weekend, or something else that is fun if it catches my eye - most recently it was the Sam Adam's Double Voyage. I'd say probably 90% of the beer I drink is made on my property - unless it's one of my friend's beers.

Very rarely do I purchase alcohol since I started brewing. I will go to Keg n' Bottle or one of the other places that have craft/micro on occasion though and grab a six pack for comparison purposes.

Back