Kolsch Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

talleymonster

Reaction score
I ordered the Gold Seal Kolsch Extract Kit from AHS. The I read another post about lagering that mentiond cold conditioning. I really didn't think about it when I ordered the kit.

Does Kolsch need to be lagered?
Do I need to hurry up and drink all of my store bought beer so I can pull the shelves out of my garage fridge and put a 6.5 gallon carboy on there?!?

Kolsch does not need to be lagered, unless you brew with a lager yeast. As long as you are using an ale yeast you should be fine.

The yeast is Nottingham dry yeast. If I remember correctly, that is the same yeast that I used for my West Coast Red Ale from AHS, too.

yeah, that was weird. i just finished posting and WOOP! there was another Kölsch thread with the same question, lol
talleymonster said:
The yeast is Nottingham dry yeast. If I remember correctly, that is the same yeast that I used for my West Coast Red Ale from AHS, too.
I would get a good Kölsch yeast. nottingham is not ideal for that style IMO

Back