ton of trub; whirlpool?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

perrypainter

Reaction score
I have a ridiculous amount of trub in my fermenter. I heard of doing a whirlpool before I transfer from my bk. I did, but it did nothing. Thinking logically about it... should I have put an extension on the inlet to reach to the middle? I am a little confused.

If you whirlpool you are basically "piling" up the trub in the center. I whirlpool after cooling and hen let the Bk rest for thirty minutes before transfer. I use my siphon off the very edge of the pot, and get about 1/4 to 1/2" of grub and yeast in my better bottles. So some trub gets in you just lessen it with a whirlpool. Hope that helps!

let the Bk rest for thirty minutes before transfer. I use my siphon off the very edge of the pot, and get about 1/4 to 1/2" of grub and yeast in my better bottles.

I do the same thing. Immersion chiller in the kettle. Once its to 65F put the lid back on and let it sit on the counter for about half an hour... or a few beers.

Don't let your siphon go to the bottom; start in the middle. Just watch and lower it down and leave all the crap down there. You get a lot of the cold break out this way, too.

Yep, definitely should of waited a half hour. Dang it!
Yeah my carboy is half full of trub-cold break and now a lot of it is floating. It's definitely interesting to look at, but after a six hour brew session, it's a little heartbreaking to think that it might be ruined. :(

Also, a quick question, This stuff most likely will effect my OG reading, as it reads 1.066, which would put me at 88% efficiency, I don't think so... My question is:
OG reading- pre-boil or post-boil?

Eh the part that's beer should be ok.

I take a gravity reading pre and post boil... pre boil to see how much to boil off to hit my target gravity and post boil to see how close I came.

Also, a quick question, This stuff most likely will effect my OG reading, as it reads 1.066

No it wont.

Don't be afraid to leave a quart or two behind in the kettle. That's where 90% of that trub is going to be. A false bottom and dip tube works really well for me.

Back