Beer Server Certification

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcott

Reaction score
I was reading Sommelier Journal last month, and there was an article on a new certification for Beer professionals called "Master Cicerone." Apparently the certifying organization (http://www.cicerone.org) has three levels: Certified Beer Server, Certified Cicerone, and Master Cicerone.

I'm curious if anyone on here has done any of these and what your experience was like. I'm thinking about doing the first level as it is inexpensive and online.

Any thoughts?

I have a lot of respect for Ray Daniels, and I think the program is solid. I'm not sure how much is involved in becoming a ciccerone, but it'd be fun and educational at the least.

Regardless of whether I take it or not, I'm excited about it because I hope it will only help to spread the love of good beer in professional circles. Plus, it will create restaurants where service actually involves a knowledge of beer that is something more than just BMC. I know everyone at Brooklyn Brewery took the first level, which I think is pretty cool.

Ray talked quite a bit about this program last summer, but I don't remember any of the details. I know he was really excited about it, and talked about it at the NHC and gave quite a few details. I guess I didn't listen as carefully as I could have when he talked about it, but I remember him saying the program would have fees.

At my age, I'm just happy to drink beer, so I'm not really interested in starting a new career. I just retired not even a week ago!

But, if I was thinking of a career change, I could see myself interested in something like this.

Very cool idea and thanks for posting. Signed up for the site and I'm reading through the study guides and am learning a ton. Highly recommend anyone who has the time and wants to learn or brush up on their beer knowledge take a look.

Good point Veinman, I forgot to mention how many great resources the site offers.

It's something that I'm particularly interested in because I'm a Certified Sommelier, which includes very limited knowledge requirement of beer, but I'm always looking at ways to push myself further in studying all things fermented (and beer is really my bigger love affair anyway).

one of my favorite local bars is run by a certified cicerone, I always wondered what exactly that entailed, thanks for sharing the info :)

terrapinj said:
one of my favorite local bars is run by a certified cicerone, I always wondered what exactly that entailed, thanks for sharing the info :)

If you don't mind sharing, which bar is this?

I've been looking at the Cicerone program online and the only real issue I have is the price. $70 for the entry level beer server (which honestly I think most people who have been brewing and kegging their own beers could probably pass right away). $345 for the Certified Cicerone!!! with retakes for written $150 and $75 for the tasting. Than the Master level is $595! To me that seems a little crazy expensive. Especially considering Beer Judge Certification is $50 and seems to cover generally the same thing as Cicerone with the exception of draft systems which the beer judge certification doesn't have anything about.

That is definitely a valid point, jrph22. I've definitely considered the costs myself, and that's why I haven't done anything yet.

That being said, if the certification takes off in recognition, it could be lucrative in a professional sense (which, granted, wouldn't apply to many here, but I could see how some could be inclined to fork over the money). For example, the Master Sommelier program has 4 levels. The average salary for those holding the first is 45k, the second is 55k, the third is 75k, and master is 145k.

Since I work in the alcohol industry (11 years restaurants, now going on 1+ year wholesale wine), I've considered it may be beneficial, but until it gains greater exposure, I just can't justify the cost.

I'm really encouraged to hear that others on here here have looked at the program as well. Maybe we could convince them to do a group rate on the first level for HBT members!

I know a few guys that work at good beer bars/grocery stores that have gotten the certification over the last year. They thought that it was a great all around beer knowledge program but it was something they were able to get paid for by their place of employment. The main reason holding me back is the price.

I second the BJCP (http://www.bjcp.org/index.php). Try to find a local club that puts on study classes. It is a great way to learn the subtleties in the styles and gain a technical background on water/hops/processes. I felt like I had a pretty good understanding of chemistry but I left the water class feeling like an idiot. The off flavor kits were incredibly helpful in actually being able to recognize the characteristics of certain faults. The exam is 50 bucks.

The BJCP doesn't include food pairings and anything about draft systems, which the Cicerone does. However, on a practice Cicerone exam I saw those questions were pretty simple/intuitive and could be learned in a week or two.

Depending on the discount, it may be beneficial for this organization to encourage HBT'ers to sign up at the right price. Especially for an on-line course, its found $

I took the Certified Beer Server test today, it was pretty easy if you're fairly versed in beer. The only things I really had to study were the info about storage and serving in a restaurant setting.

I am totally interested in pursuing Certified Cicerone certification. There are 18 in the state of CO (where I live), so having that certification would definitely set me apart professionally. I think it would totally be worth the near-$600 to become a Master Cicerone after that.

To me, Certified Cicerone basically means that "I have a solid understanding of almost every aspect of beer," and Master Cicerone means "I know what the eff I'm talking about, you best listen when I speak." haha...

The only thing keeping me from Certified Cicerone is ca$h.
Both for the tests and travel expenses to take them.

It's something I'd enjoy doing.
Maybe after I can find steady work.

I kind of want to take it to see if its worth talking the owner of the bar I work at into paying for the waitstaff to take, I overheard a server the other night " Umm, Nordeast? its kind of like a Summit, umm its dark like that" :mad: I wanted to hit her

FlatcapBrew said:
I kind of want to take it to see if its worth talking the owner of the bar I work at into paying for the waitstaff to take, I overheard a server the other night " Umm, Nordeast? its kind of like a Summit, umm its dark like that" :mad: I wanted to hit her

'what's a cask?'
'It's just like a warm keg'

I heard a customer ask that and that was the response of the server. Shocking.

FlatcapBrew said:

I lol'd.

I think I'm going to take it. It's good practical knowledge and I'm sure it will help working my way into the beer industry. Just as soon as I get the money to throw at it. Broke for a week. Excellent find sir.

thataintchicken said:
The only thing keeping me from Certified Cicerone is ca$h.
Both for the tests and travel expenses to take them.

It's something I'd enjoy doing.
Maybe after I can find steady work.

No joke. Time to start saving...ar tell them to bring a friggin test to CO.

BTW, your name looked like "Tha Taint Chicken" at first glance...lulz

I'm a Certified Cicerone.

I think the program is gaining momentum more and more everyday. Ray Daniels has really put together a great, comprehensive program around all aspects of serving beer, beer styles, draught systems, and the history of beer. The Beer Server test is pretty easy and I would expect anyone here to pass with a bit of reading. The Certified test is much more comprehensive, and you really need to be detail oriented. The serving and quality questions are the most difficult, but the beer style questions are also pretty challenging. The test changes often, so I am not sure what is on it now.

As for the cost, I think that it is not prohibitive when you look at it as a professional certification. If you're not in the industry, you have to have someone vouch for you, or you can't even take the test. It is really not just for every guy who likes beer, just like the Sommelier certification isn't just for your average wine drinker.

As for the cost, I think that it is not prohibitive when you look at it as a professional certification.

I agree. I met Ray last year and he thought I'd be good at it, especially if I go the Consulting Chef/manager route.

It's a goal of mine to achieve, but staying debt free and landing steady jobs doing something I actually enjoy comes first.

I agree. I met Ray last year and he thought I'd be good at it, especially if I go the Consulting Chef/manager route.

It's a goal of mine to achieve, but staying debt free and landing steady jobs doing something I actually enjoy comes first.

Yeah, being in debt isn't worth it. My exam fee was actually paid by my fiancee for my birthday last year. What a woman.

Bump on a dead thread.

I've done the beer server exam (super easy), and am looking at the Certified Exam. Anyone out there who has done it have any advice on what/how to study?

Thanks in advance!

I'm also a certified beer server and was studying for the Cicerone exam when I got caught up in all this nanobrewery nonsense (ha!). I think the program is solid but agree that if you've been brewing regularly for a while and kegging your own beer, you can become a certified beer server without studying at all. The Cicerone program is much more comprehensive and rigorous- just what the industry needs in my opinion.

Back