Weizen!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tronnyjenkins

Reaction score
Hey folks,
what are the American breweries that you know of who currently produce a weizen using a real yeast, and doing everything in the proper German style?

I visited Live Oak in Austin, Tx and they brought something to my attention that I hadn't thought of: How many American "weizens" or "weissbiers" I had tried that actually taste nothing like a German wheat beer!

(Not exactly a brewing question, but pretty technical ;-)

The brewery out back of my house lol. I don't know of many commercial breweries doing real weizens though. Check out Victory's Sunrise Weiss and their Moonglow Weizenbock. It's a PA brewery, so you may have some trouble picking it up. I highly suggest finding them though because they're amazing.

Only one I know that open ferments ala the germans, is the sierra nevada kellerweiss, and they use a yeast from a bottle of an actual german hefe.

As long as you can get Live Oak, it doesn't matter. That one is the best!

Firestone Walker's is decent here on the left coast.

As long as you can get Live Oak, it doesn't matter. That one is the best!

Firestone Walker's is decent here on the left coast.

Firestone doesn't have a German style hefeweizen that they sell in stores. They have made them before though for their tasting room.

Solace is not a German hefe

Only one I know that open ferments ala the germans, is the sierra nevada kellerweiss, and they use a yeast from a bottle of an actual german hefe.

You sure about that? I thought they used an "Ale Yeast", per their website.

Good stuff, though.

:rockin:

Back