Basilweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jk92004

Reaction score
I am trying to brew with some basil i grew in the backyard.

5 gallon batch

steep:
.5lbs crystal #10L
1.5oz fresh basil

----

3.3 lbs wheat LME
3.0 lbs wheat DME

.5 oz perle :60 mins
1.0 oz liberty :00 mins

I might soak some fresh basil in vodka then toss it into the secondary.

Should get 4.42% ABV with 14 IBU and 7-9 SRM

I make a basil ale, i add the basil at several intervals during the last 8 minutes of boil, including at flame out. The basil is very prominant in the brew. the recipe is under "my recipes". Hope this helps!

I'm currently drinking a Bavarian Sage Weizen, I think basil would be just as awesome. Kill the finishing hops so the basil can come through. I used .4 ounces of fresh sage for 5 gallons in the last minute of the boil but the secondary may be the way to go. I think a lot of the aroma was driven off during the primary but it still turned out great.

I make a basil ale, i add the basil at several intervals during the last 8 minutes of boil, including at flame out. The basil is very prominant in the brew. the recipe is under "my recipes". Hope this helps!

Good recipe. Can you smell the basil or just pick up the taste? Seems like the dry hopping would overpower the basil aroma?

I'm currently drinking a Bavarian Sage Weizen, I think basil would be just as awesome. Kill the finishing hops so the basil can come through. I used .4 ounces of fresh sage for 5 gallons in the last minute of the boil but the secondary may be the way to go. I think a lot of the aroma was driven off during the primary but it still turned out great.

Yeah. I think I will be adding it to the secondary.

That sage sounds good too!

UPDATE: so.. I was planning to keg this beer up to have as my first kegged beer. I didn't know what I was doing and my 2.5 lb tank (they were out of 5lb placement tanks) ran out of gas mainly because i watched too many videos on how to keg a beer.

I was dejected and tired of cleaning and sanitizing for the day so I left it in the keg with a grain bag of 0.5oz fresh basil, which I briefly soaked in vodka to sanitize the bag and the basil.

Now, A week has gone by and the Basilweizen has been in a keg in my fridge soaking up the basil flavor and getting more clear. I decided that i would just bottle this and keg my next batch instead.

I tasted it and was very pleased that a hint of basil came through. very nice. Looking forward to tasting a carbonated bottle of Basilweizen..

Back