Jet Burner Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lcjustin

Reaction score
Ok, I have spent hours researching jet burners through the forum and online. I plan on building a Brutus 10 and I want to install 3 of them on it. My question is if jet burners are low or high pressure for propane. Or at least how can you tell. Been looking online at and found the 10 tip for about $40 but does not say if its low pressure or high pressure. Called the companys up and they said that all they know is that it is 62,000 BTU.

I went with a 10" banjo burner so I can't help you on that. However, did you do a search on jet burners? There are a ton of threads about which ones do what. Also, you can get the model # and call the manufacturer for the proper hook-up. Luck - Dwain

The 2" pipe and the 4" cast iron burners are designed for high pressure gas to get enough air induced to make a big flame. The cast ring multitip burners are setup for low pressure NG or propane, pretty much on off operation as reduced pressure when throttled makes flame go yellow and makes soot on you hardware. The 10" banjo burners can be operated on either high or low pressure gas with correct size orifice installed for the operating pressure and throttle up/down well without soot production. You could start with high pressure system and switch to low pressure system operation later, after you drill out orifices for low pressure operation.

One thing that I have not seen is people that were using the 10 tip burner that is in the original Brutus 10 specs. Everyone seems to be buying the 23 tip burner and reducing it down. I don't like the idea of messing with the engineering of the larger burner if you are just going to cut down the tips, the whole crossing the flames for efficiency.

Back