Beginner recipe idea?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timmystank

Reaction score
Any ideas for a simple extract recipe that does not require secondary fermenting? Prefer a light non-hoppy brew.

About as simple as they come, very low hops, and a great light-drinking summer brew.

Brown Recluse Kristalweizen

This is an Australian-style kristalweizen in the vein of the original Matilda Bay Redback. It should be nearly clear (not cloudy), pale, and relatively low hoppiness, with moderate clove esters and mild banana esters. It is a great, light summer wheat with lower hops and much more weizen character than an American wheat

This can go from boil to belly in 3 weeks.

OG: 1.048
3-gallon partial boil, top up to a 5-gallon batch
1 lb. 5 oz. Briess Pilsen DME
4 lb. 5 oz. Briess Wheat DME
Hops: .8 oz. Clusters @60minutes
.4 oz. Saaz @5 minutes
Yeast: Wyeast W3638 Bavarian Weizen yeast. Pitch a 3l starter cake or 2 packages.
Ferment at 62F (over 65 skews toward banana esters in lieu of cloves).

It may be closer to a hefeweizen than a kristal if you don't rack onto gelatin, but that'll actually help the wheat flavor.

I've only brewed and tasted four batches and as low hoppy and drinkable goes, English Brown Ale was the one. It was a brewers best kit but, there are some easy recipes here that I've copied to try in the future like British Brown.

Any ideas for a simple extract recipe that does not require secondary fermenting? Prefer a light non-hoppy brew.

I have a batch of Coopers done that way which tastes quite good.
Munton's blonde is not too hoppie

The hydrometer I have is marked is in sg and Pluto or Balling.
My basement is at 16C so fermentation is slowed down a bit, which makes this much easier to get the right point.
I check the brew and when it is a 5 Pluto I bottle it without priming sugar. The fermentation continues in the bottle.

If you bottle it too late you may not have as much CO2, if you bottle it too soon, well the neighbours may complain about strange noise in the night. It may explode.

Back