Has Anybody Brewed Something Like This?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sonnyjim

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm new to the site and also new to brewing beer. I have just finished completing my first AG batch about 3 weeks ago and I made what I believe to be a big mistake. It was really a result of not fully understanding a proper ballance of ingredients. I'll show you what I used(I'm sure you'll all have a chuckle)

10lbs Pale Ale Malt
1lb Chocolate Malt (there's the kicker)
1lb Toasted Barley Flakes
1lb Crystal 120
1oz New Zealand Stickleback 13% (60mins)
2oz Kent Goldings 4.5% (30mins and 15mins)
1oz Cascade 5%ish (5mins)
Northwest Ale Wyeast
Wyeast Nutrient, 5.2 Stabalizer, Supermoss (all in at correct times)
Mash was at 158 degrees
1 week primary fermenter (60 farenheit), 2 weeks secondary (50 farenheit)
:rockin:

Now this may have been right out of er' but again it was my first batch and yes I know everyone's asking "wtf is with the overuse of chocolate malt?" It was a lack of 100% research, and as a result smells extremely weird. I tasted it when I bottled them all yesterday and it tastes fine but still smells kind of like "hospital alcoholish". Is that because of the weird combination of the overpowering chocolate malt? I also added some cinnamon to the secondary fermenter to try to mask some of the smell, but didn't want to dry hop because it was already very bitter and hoppy.

So, has anybody ever done anything like this before? Any suggestions other than 'don't ever do that again?' At this point before I start a new batch anything would help. For those interested you can check out my whole experience on youtube and cretique me via. there or on here. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXe3OM1l8M4&feature=channel_page]YouTube - All Grain Homebrew Part 1 Intro[/ame]
And it's in 3 parts. I've already been given much cough cough....... 'constructive' critisim. So try to be nice but be blunt if necessary. Thanks for all those who have some thoughts and Cheers.

Looks...interesting.

I'd recommend consulting a reputable recipe book, like Brewing Classic Styles before your next attempt.

Designing Great Beers isn't a recipe book per se, but it does discuss many beer styles in depth and gives very useful recommendations for designing recipes.

Of course, you can always post your recipes here on HBT and ask for feedback before brewing them.

Good luck with that beer, and welcome to HBT! :mug:

i'm not much for recipes either but I'm think the full pound of chocolate malt and roasted barley might be a bit much. If so, don't pitch, Just brew up a simple 2-row SMaSH with your hop of choice, and then blend with the crazy strong batch. If it turns out to be.

Edit, thought it wsa ROASTED barley

Canadian?

i assume you got the message about doughing in at a specified temp, not boiling like stated in the video.
Also the stuff used before the boil isn't required to be sanitized. Only post boil items require it. The boil will kill anything present preboil

Thanks for the quick replies guys and warm welcome. Yes it was Roasted Barley and yes I am Canadian along with the Barley how did you know? What I actually did was base this off of a recipe in a book called A Year in Beer: 262 Seasonal Homebrew Recipes, but I added the chocolate and toasted barley flakes. Everything else was by the books.

13 pounds of grain for a 5 gallon batch is the reason you have a harsh alcohol taste. That is normal for that size grain bill and will subside with lengthy conditioning time (a couple months).

There is a big difference between Roasted Barley and Flaked Barley. Flaked barley looks like oatmeal. Roasted barley is basically black barley. Which did you use? [EDIT - Just saw it was roasted barley]

If you used Flaked barley, you'll likely end up with a very rich tasting brew after three months or so. Chocolate malt and high gravity, both require time to mellow out.

Awsome beirmuncher thanks a lot. I believe it was Flaked Barley my bad. It was flaked barley so that's good. It's been 3 weeks since the brew and I was going to try it this weekend (total 1 month) but I'll leave it for a whole month minimum to bottle condition before I attempt it. Thanks!

Hey guys,

I tasted it when I bottled them all yesterday and it tastes fine but still smells kind of like "hospital alcoholish". Is that because of the weird combination of the overpowering chocolate malt? I also added some cinnamon to the secondary fermenter to try to mask some of the smell, but didn't want to dry hop because it was already very bitter and hoppy.

Despite the high chocolate malt and just 'winging it' so to speak, i wouldn't put too much stock in flavor or aroma at bottling time. Many brews will be foul at bottling/kegging time and will mellow significantly over time. As mentioned in a previous reply, this was a large grain bill for 5 gallons, but thats ok. If possible be patient with this one. The longer it ages the better. Check your carbonation level in 3 weeks or so, and if its good, then cool it down and store for months if you can hold out that long.

I see you sanitized the mash tun? I hope you didn't sanitize the brew pot. Unnessary work to sanitize anything but stuff that comes into contact with cold wort like the fermentor and the air lock.

Wait 2 or 3 months and that beer will be delicious.

Sweet thanks Pimp, I didn't sanitize the brew pot but I will let everyone know how it is in a few months.

Remember that the boil will kill any insurgents in the wort. Now after the boil, that's when you need to be super anal-retentive about sanitization. Congrats on your first all-grain!

I use over 2lbs of chocolate malt in one of my stouts. There is nothing wrong with it. In fact I prefer using chocolate and a duhusked roasted malt (carafa) as opposed to roasted as it lends a much smoother flavor.

I bet that harsh smell you got was a big wiff of co2. co2 + h2o = h2co3 (carbonic acid) in your nose/lungs.

Back