4 days and still bubbling...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bhughes

Reaction score
My second batch is currently fermenting. It has now been 4 days since fermentation began and the airlock is still bubbling a few times a minute. I don't know exactly what the lagtime was for the airlock to start bubbling but it was less than 12 hours.

This batch seems to be bubbling for a longer period of time than my first batch. I don't think there is anything wrong with this, I would just like to know more about how different factors affect the fermentation process.

I don't know the OG of my first batch, but this batch is higher (1.065) as I used 9.9 lbs of LME as opposed to 6.6 lbs of LME in the first batch. I also wrapped my ale pail with a wet towel this time to bring the temp down a few degrees as the room temp is about 70. The yeast in the two beers is the same (american ale US05) however the first batch was a partial boil and this second batch was a full boil.

Here are a few questions:
1. Does a higher gravity beer have a longer primary fermentation phase than a lower gravity beer with all other factors being the same?
2. If this second batch was not aerated as much as the first batch, would that cause the primary phase to take longer?
3. Do cooler temperatures slow down the fermentation process?
4. Is it better or worse either way if the primary phase takes longer?

Here are a few questions:
1. Does a higher gravity beer have a longer primary fermentation phase than a lower gravity beer with all other factors being the same?
2. If this second batch was not aerated as much as the first batch, would that cause the primary phase to take longer?
3. Do cooler temperatures slow down the fermentation process?
4. Is it better or worse either way if the primary phase takes longer?

1. Sure, if you have the exact same number of yeast cells. More sugar, more time needed to ferment it. In practice there are always variables that make each fermentation a little different.

2. It's possible. The yeast use O2 in the growth phase of fermentation as they produce more cells. Less O2 would slow the growth of cells.

3. Yes, the yeast will work slower at lower temperatures, but it will also help reduce ester development and make a "cleaner" beer.

4. I don't think it really matters. I primary everything about 4 weeks.

4 days is still early, RDWHAHB. Just shut the door, turn off the light, and forget about it for another couple of weeks. You'll thank me later.

Thanks for the replies. I haven't been worried and I do plan on leaving it in the fermentor for at least 3 weeks. I have also enjoyed a couple of bottles from my first batch although it still needs another week of carbing. I was really surprised at how easy it was to make a quality beer at home.

Not only quality, but once you get your process down, exactly what you want.

Thanks for the replies. I haven't been worried and I do plan on leaving it in the fermentor for at least 3 weeks. I have also enjoyed a couple of bottles from my first batch although it still needs another week of carbing. I was really surprised at how easy it was to make a quality beer at home.

Back