Berliner Weisse Ferm. Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChadChaney

Reaction score
So I brewed a Berliner on Sat. and went with the sour wort method, cooling to around 100F and then pitching a 1/2 pound of Pilsner malt, I also made a BW with the second runnings and some DME and followed the same procedure. The first batch went on a BrewPad to hold the temp, my wife then **** it off by accident so the temp has varied a bit. It fermented it a little bit like normal, then had a small bubbly pelicle and now is actively fermenting again. I tasted yesterday and it has a little sourness, not near as much as I am hoping for. Can I just let it ride out until I get it as sour as I like and then pitch my yeast? As of the other batch, it is just sitting at room temp, probably 70F at best and it has very little sourness if any. I am sure this is due to the temp, I was planning on putting it on the brewpad as soon as the other batch was done, any problems here?

Any other creative ways to keep carboys in the 90F range? i don't want to use a space heater because I have other ales fermenting away in the same area, basement.

Ugh, I racked off cake and grain and voices for 15 mins and pitched yeast. It has been almost 36 hours and zero activity, and ideas?

Wow, another guy on here is having the same problem...https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f127/sour-mash-ale-381421/
I have brewed a few berliner weisses using the sour mash method, they have all fermented vigorously and have dried out to 1.004-1.007. I even had one that was ultra sour and the yeast seemed to have no problem...

Yeast can sometimes take 3 days before really taking off, you might just have to wait. But it wouldn't hurt to get a starter ready, you will probably use it later if you don't have to re-pitch this brew...

Back