Dogfish Head trip

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nyer

Reaction score
We arrived in Ocean City MD last Thursday and found rain, high winds and sand in the pool and all over the boardwalk. So much for sun and the beach. Well, I figured at least I finally get to do the brewery tour at Dogfishhead. I called to make a reservation even though I figured nobody in their right mind would be there with the weather like it was. The lady tells me they are booked solid until next Wednesday. I can't believe it. First no Randall at the brewpub and now this. Last year we got lost and missed the brewery tour. I just can't believe my luck. I decided to call and beg, I was willing to do anything. That doesn't work because nobody answered my 4 calls. At this point the weather sucks and DFH is out so I'm ready to drive 8 hours home right then and there. About two hours later my wife and I are walking on the sandy windy boardwalk when my sister calls me from the hotel, she called the brewery and explained the situation and they are letting us go on the tour. The bad part, we have to be there in 1 hour and we are 5 minutes from the hotel and an hour drive to the brewery. We ran like hell and I drove even faster. We arrived 10 minutes late but the lady in the lobby was actually waiting for us and rushed us in. I find out later my sister told them I was their biggest fan and I had a huge DFH tattoo on my back. We do the tour and get the samples and I'm happy as could be. I told everyone it was the second best beer day of my life. I was feeling pretty good because only me and my wife like their beer so the other 4 people gave us all of their samples. I noticed something strange going on in the tasting room, there was a guy wandering around dressed like a cop and there were others dressed up too. They were dressed liked the village people. We walk outside and I see the "village people" are playing bocce ball and they are drinking away having a great time. I walked up to the guy dressed like a cop and asked we started chatting. Turns out they are all employee's and they dress up and drink and play bocce on Fridays. The guy was really cool and I could have hung out there all day. I told him I would like to have a job there and he told me to go in and talk to a lady inside before I leave. I jokingly asked him if Sam knew what they did on Fridays and he tells me he is Sam. I laughed and walked away not believing him. When I get home I look on the internet and find a picture of Sam Calagione, it was him. I could kick myself in the ass. I took pictures all over the place and never even considered that was really him. It was way too cool.

Cool story - I was at DFH on Sunday and Monday... the brewpub not the brewery. Had the SWMBO with (we've been to Rehoboth/OCMD 4-5 times this year, so nothing new), but two friends who had never been there before.

Definitely enjoyed fresh tapped Punkin Ale (it was out Sunday, back Monday) and their Sah-Tea Farmhouse Ale. The craziest beer I had though was the Theobroma... definitely a complex, great beer. Not sure how Sam gets Chocolate, Chilies, and weird spices to blend into a drinkable beer, but he did...

OK... Ocean City last week? What kinda Dub you got?

<-- 2 MKIII Jettas and a MkI Cabby here...

(In case you don't have a VW, there was a huge watercooled VW show in OC last weekend)

We missed out on the brewery tour due to the Bocce tournament, but we decided to hit up the brewpub Saturday afternoon... After a few flights, a lovely glass of Theobroma, some vodkas and a table full of damned good food, we all weebled outside, where I proceeded to load up on $170 worth of growlers, vodka and shwag...

My good friends from the PNW decided to hit it up the next day, and I think they did even more damage than we did...

Waiting for SWMBO to get the pics off her camera...

I'm going to DFH next weekend for their 360º Experience thing... so hopefully it won't suck. We're making the trip for our 1 year anniversary; I have no idea how I talked her into going to a brewery for our first anniversary but I'm not asking questions :). I'm hoping to make it to the brewpub on Friday for 90 Min on Randall; assuming their website is accurate and thats when its actually hooked up.

P.S. I have an MKIV VR6...

Neal

WOW....WOW!

I'm glad you had a good experience after the Randall incident...so did you talk to the lady sam recommended?

So sam's favorite village person is this guy?

Village-People-Cop.jpg

I would have thought that Sam would lean more towards,

VillagePeopleBiker.jpg

Either way I'm a little disturbed by it all. :D

I didn't talk to the lady, unfortunately I couldn't really take a job there right now even if he was serious.

We had no idea that volkswagon thing was going on when we got there Thursday. On Friday they took over the entire town. We tried getting to the carwash and couldn't even get near it. I have nothing against someone who loves their car, I'm into cars bigtime. I just couldn't believe how annoying alot of them were. They raced up and down the street all day and night. I must be getting old because the sound of their exhaust is extremely annoying to me. I saw some of the ugliest cars ever there. The police had a good time, they were out in force and stopped tons of them. I drove to the store Sunday afternoon with our Eclipse Syder and I got surrounded by those little Golf's. They were revving their motors and trying to get me to race them. What the hell is this new thing with extremely wide wheels on the car with tires that don't fit?

OK... Ocean City last week? What kinda Dub you got?

<-- 2 MKIII Jettas and a MkI Cabby here...

(In case you don't have a VW, there was a huge watercooled VW show in OC last weekend)

We missed out on the brewery tour due to the Bocce tournament, but we decided to hit up the brewpub Saturday afternoon... After a few flights, a lovely glass of Theobroma, some vodkas and a table full of damned good food, we all weebled outside, where I proceeded to load up on $170 worth of growlers, vodka and shwag...

My good friends from the PNW decided to hit it up the next day, and I think they did even more damage than we did...

Waiting for SWMBO to get the pics off her camera...

We were there Saturday afternoon around 4:30. We sat in a table near the back towards the bathrooms. I really wanted to get to the bar and hang out up there but it was pretty crowded. I got a sampler and thats it. The rest of the people I was with drink miller light so they weren't very interested in the place. It sounds like randall may not getting much use for awhile.

I didn't talk to the lady, unfortunately I couldn't really take a job there right now even if he was serious.

We had no idea that volkswagon thing was going on when we got there Thursday. On Friday they took over the entire town. We tried getting to the carwash and couldn't even get near it. I have nothing against someone who loves their car, I'm into cars bigtime. I just couldn't believe how annoying alot of them were. They raced up and down the street all day and night. I must be getting old because the sound of their exhaust is extremely annoying to me. I saw some of the ugliest cars ever there. The police had a good time, they were out in force and stopped tons of them. I drove to the store Sunday afternoon with our Eclipse Syder and I got surrounded by those little Golf's. They were revving their motors and trying to get me to race them. What the hell is this new thing with extremely wide wheels on the car with tires that don't fit?

Yeah we do have some idiots in the community, but most of them are pretty decent.. There are a lot of the beaters and ugly cars that are oddly enough, well received... And usually the ones racing are the younger bucks with more balls than brains... Our club has a few of those, but we try to keep them wrangled in...

As far as the wide wheels thing goes, I personally thing that on some cars it isn't too bad... SWMBO has 205/40/r14's stretched over 8" rims on the Cabby... At least it looks like it kinda has some muscle.... somwhere... :D

I will post up a link to my our pics thread on Vortex when I get a chance...

Nealf...

Lemme guess, silver GTI right? :D

:mug:

Since this household has been on head-cold-duty all week, I decided to get the pics myself...

At least those of the booty I managed to get from the brewpub store...

With out VW clubs official mascot, Dürty Dück:
DSC_0142.jpg

And without:
DSC_0145.jpg

No, we didn't play beer pong with the DFH....

We arrived in Ocean City MD last Thursday and found rain, high winds and sand in the pool and all over the boardwalk. So much for sun and the beach. Well, I figured at least I finally get to do the brewery tour at Dogfishhead. I called to make a reservation even though I figured nobody in their right mind would be there with the weather like it was. The lady tells me they are booked solid until next Wednesday. I can't believe it. First no Randall at the brewpub and now this. Last year we got lost and missed the brewery tour. I just can't believe my luck. I decided to call and beg, I was willing to do anything. That doesn't work because nobody answered my 4 calls. At this point the weather sucks and DFH is out so I'm ready to drive 8 hours home right then and there. About two hours later my wife and I are walking on the sandy windy boardwalk when my sister calls me from the hotel, she called the brewery and explained the situation and they are letting us go on the tour. The bad part, we have to be there in 1 hour and we are 5 minutes from the hotel and an hour drive to the brewery. We ran like hell and I drove even faster. We arrived 10 minutes late but the lady in the lobby was actually waiting for us and rushed us in. I find out later my sister told them I was their biggest fan and I had a huge DFH tattoo on my back. We do the tour and get the samples and I'm happy as could be. I told everyone it was the second best beer day of my life. I was feeling pretty good because only me and my wife like their beer so the other 4 people gave us all of their samples. I noticed something strange going on in the tasting room, there was a guy wandering around dressed like a cop and there were others dressed up too. They were dressed liked the village people. We walk outside and I see the "village people" are playing bocce ball and they are drinking away having a great time. I walked up to the guy dressed like a cop and asked we started chatting. Turns out they are all employee's and they dress up and drink and play bocce on Fridays. The guy was really cool and I could have hung out there all day. I told him I would like to have a job there and he told me to go in and talk to a lady inside before I leave. I jokingly asked him if Sam knew what they did on Fridays and he tells me he is Sam. I laughed and walked away not believing him. When I get home I look on the internet and find a picture of Sam Calagione, it was him. I could kick myself in the ass. I took pictures all over the place and never even considered that was really him. It was way too cool.

That just ****ing Rocks!!! What a hell of a good Day.:ban:

Any idea of a supplier of those old school bottles with the finger holes. Would be great for gifts of my brew.

Matt

Nealf...

Lemme guess, silver GTI right? :D

Nope.. bone stock "Canyon Red" Jetta... I looked for a GTI for a bit but then decided to pick up the Jetta. I was moving down in car, from my S2000, and the Jetta was only 5k.

Nice haul from DFH; How is that vodka?

Any idea of a supplier of those old school bottles with the finger holes. Would be great for gifts of my brew.

Matt

They look like normal gallon (or 1/2 gallon) carboys that should be available at most LHBSs to me.

I went on the DFH Brew tour several years ago, I guess much has changed. There were no reservations and we just walked right in. The tour was only about 5 minutes, something to the tune of, "here are the tanks". Then we proceeded to sample, and a couple hours later we stumbled out of the building. We talked with a lot of their back office people, they are all passionate about what they do there. One of the best brewery tours I've ever been on.

Nice haul from DFH; How is that vodka?

DEEEEE-LISH....

nealf said:
They look like normal gallon (or 1/2 gallon) carboys that should be available at most LHBSs to me.

+1 on that... I picked up three before the trip and took a few with us up to OC... Had to let the car club try the ol' homebrew... So far, many thumbs up... Or at least that is what they were saying...:D

What the heck does the little yellow rubby duck mean? We saw them hanging off the back bumper on alot of the cars.

Well our's is the Unofficial Official Dürty Dübs Mascot...

And not to be a wanker, considering his scale on top of a 1/2 gallon growler, he ain't that little... Hehehe...

As far as other people putting them on the cars, I have no friggin idea... We just keep finding some here and there... There were also a whole bunch of Scirrocos or Corrados with them hanging from the rear tow hooks....

There was also a giant white tiger in one car, a teddy bear riding a sleigh on one roof rack, a blow-up doll riding a bike on another roof rack and a whole lotta other wacky crap at the show....

With 1500+ VW's in one spot, ya gotta do something to stand apart a little...

My guess is since it is their in-house infused vodka...

SWMBO ain't a beer chick (but since she bought me the beer kit that started me on my downward spiral, I guess I will keep her around), she tried the vodkas at DFH Brewpub and she loved it...

We got the Vanilla and Mango infused vodkas...

She may be fruity, but I still love her...:rockin:

You lucky bastard! I LOVE DFH. If I was stationed at Dover AFB I'd be there on a weekly basis.

I actually met Sam and played bocce ball with him a couple months ago at an AHA rally. I got a picture with him but the person that took it never emailed it to me... im kinda pissed about that. I did get him to sign a DFH hat for me though so thats pretty cool. Sam seemed to be a really cool laid back guy.

For some reason I have never gone to DFH. I only live like an hour and a half away and go to ocean city alot. I will have to make a point to get in there in the next few months. If anyone wants to meet up there sometime let me know.

Big time DFH lover here. We actually have a DFH alehouse right across the street from my work and a mile from my house ! We attend a lot of their beer and dinners and Sam attended one. One of the funniest and cussingest mofos I've ever met.:D

Here's his book I had signed by him.

beer040.jpg

I had it at the brewpuc in Rehoboth Beach...

YUMMY...

The cocoa and ancho peppers definitely add something different...

Thats a great story. A little emabrasing you didn't know who sam was. I wouldn't have made the mistake (Microbrewed Adventures has a huge picture of him in it and the Sabco Brewmagic commercials). I hope to take the tour some day

Thats a great story. A little emabrasing you didn't know who sam was. I wouldn't have made the mistake (Microbrewed Adventures has a huge picture of him in it and the Sabco Brewmagic commercials). I hope to take the tour some day

I have seen his picture dozens of times. He was in a costume and was wearing aviator sunglasses so it was hard to tell who he was. I also was not expecting him to be there. During the tour we saw him walking around the building and drinking beer, again, not what I expected from the owner. My mother pointed him out and she thought he was a male stripper for someones birthday. It never crossed my mind until we left and I had a chance to look at a picture again. It was still very cool. They must be pushing the beer in other markets, we are seeing the 60 and 90 in better bars in upstate NY now.

My flight takes off tomorrow morning at 0630 for dogfish head.... I'm partaking in the 360-degree experience; I will report back :)

Back