Should I or Shouldn't I?- Okra Mead Debacle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should I try it?

• Go for it! Tell me how it goes!

• Seriously? The fact that you ask makes me think you are mentally ill.

• Dammit I clicked on another CreamyGoodness thread! ~Chapp

Results are only viewable after voting.
I'm not religous, nor do I believe in fate, but....

Has it occured to you that this whole Sandy thing is God / the Universe trying to destroy the abomindation you've created? Throw your fermented okra beverate into the eye of the storm.

So what won? Tubes or damned Dalai Llamas?

Wait, What?

Throwing celery mead into the storm might cause it to rapidly multiply into a steady rain of celery mead, causing MASSIVE suicides.

I can neither confirm nor deny any orgies at this time.

I can however confirm that the foam went down (kind of like detergent or starsan foam) a couple days ago so I topped off with a little more water. Now there is about an inch of water above the okra "raft" with a singular seed that bobs up and down with the yeast farts. There might come a day where I have to euthanize this sucker before it causes a public menace.

This potion is looking more and more like mead. the strata of honey on the bottom is gone (though I can tell all of the honey has not been "eaten" just yet) and it has taken on a decidedly golden meady color, with a greenish-brownish tint. The flacid and soggy okra spears are still globular at the top of the bottle where the curve meets the neck. Above that is about an inch more golden colored liquid, with a raisin and some okra seeds floating and bobbing in it. Too soon to tell how its going to taste, but mead is definitely being made.

It sits on my setup next to a liter bottle of persimmon and cinnamon mead, btw, of which the wife finds much less frightening...

The okra mead and I have come to a shaky understanding these past few weeks. I think it respects my point of view... and for holding my ground despite my fears...

I'm not sure if they are getting better or just... more... of... what they are...

1210121436_01.jpg

okra 1.jpg

Oh Creamy.....

I sure hope you drink it live on this here interwebs.

I love mad science. In the past I have used liter bottles to make experimental meads with varying success. Below are my wins and losses.

Espresso- FAIL
Celery- Epic WIN
Serrano and Hot Sauce- Win
Lavender- FAIL

So, I have a new crazy idea. Okra!

Good luck! If you ever get the itch to make a persimmon mead lemme know and I will save you the time by sending you a bottle of liquid tannin.

Hey! I have somehow duped quite a few people into thinking that spending time around me is worthwhile!

Damn, I showed my wife the pics on my phone last night and it really failed to do it justice. So, so gross. The prison airlock is a nice touch.

LOL. Last night I offered the wife some of my peach mead, but for whatever reason I just said "mead" as in "we are out of your wine, would you like a little mead?"

Frowny face. "what kind?"

"peach"

"Oh ok sure... as long as its not that okra crap"

Only issue is that it is visible... Kind of makes little streamers in the liquid, like a drop of olive oil in a glass of water...

Only issue is that it is visible... Kind of makes little streamers in the liquid, like a drop of olive oil in a glass of water...

Between the okra bobbing and the slime trails, I just don't think I could do it. At least not without a lot of hesitation and apprehension. But I'd probably try it if you offered....and went first.

Epic thread.

But to continue the notion of okra creating an interesting mouthfeel, the logical next step would be to make a mead using some hagfish slime. Apparently, that stuff is in a league of its own.

CreamyGoodness said:
Should be ready to sample soon! The okra raft is slowly sinking!

Well kiss my shiny metal ass, it's an Xmas miracle!

CreamyGoodness said:

Scared for you (your gut) and yet somewhat excited to hear/see the results and first impressions. Cheers to you.

We are about 2 months in and I have to say I am not sure if the fermentation stalled out or if I have discovered that okra slime dissolves lees because the bottom of the bottle is the cleanest I have ever seen.

No... I didnt take an OG.

I am going to give it a little longer and then get my friends over for the reveal.

If it IS stalled... would a good preventative measure be to toss a few more raisins in there?

Latest posts

Back