Wintering Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

remthewanderer

Reaction score
I was cleaning up the hop yard this weekend and I noticed some things that look off with my hops. The top of the crown on some of my plants are partially exposed. I'm guessing that all the rain here in the northeast washed some dirt away.

How much cover should I give these crowns?

Follow up question, I normally cover my garden with a loose layer of hay. Will this have a negative impact on next year's plants? FYI my area is expected to get a larger than normal volume of snow this winter.

I'm planning an overhaul of my hop yard. I am expanding and rearranging my plants. Fuggles does not grow well for me so I am removing those plants and replacing them with more cascade. I would like to split my current cascade plants. These plants will be 3 yrs old next spring. How should I do this and more importantly, when?

Follow up question, what should I expect to see if I transplant a 2nd year plant? Should I treat them like 1st year plants again?

It could have been the rain or just the plant growth/soil that caused them to push up. Throw enough soil to cover them by an inch or two. Then go ahead and throw the straw on top. How much are you talking? You don't want to bury them but a little covering wont hurt and should break down over winter.

To split them, just use a shovel down the middle. Now particular way to do it.

If you are transplanting 2nd years, it wouldn't hurt to treat them like first years. No doubt they will take a bit of damage during the move. Likewise, don't expect 2nd year harvest out of them, either.

I have used hay to cover mine, I live in an agricultural zone 5b and we get a lot of snow. I have them in pots and I don't do anything to overwinter them besides mulching.

Back