Tri-clover will not seal!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DustyTheBrewer

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

So I was all stoked that my 27 gal Morebeer conical arrived. I transferred a 10gal batch to her for the maiden voyage but I am having some trouble.

I cant seem to be able to get a seal around where the butterfly valve attaches to the stem of the fermenter. I've drained the beer and swapped out 3 gaskets and tried two different clamps. I've loosened and tightened to no avail.

Am I missing something? Has anyone come across this? I honestly don't know what to do.. not to mention I have 10 gallons of no very oxygenated wort.

Any insight is appreciated!

EDIT: See post below for resolution.

Yep. It almost seems like there might be something wrong with the flange on the fermenter...

Ive twisted the valve around and it keeps leaking from the same point. I think I am going to have to transfer the beer to something different for this batch until I sort this out.

Yes, I would transfer to something else. Sounds like an imperfection on the flange. After you empty it , you could try putting some keg lube in the grooves that seat the gasket as well as on the gasket. Fill it with some water and see if that works. I would also notify more beer.
Good luck.

OMG! So I put a simple 1.5" cap on the bottom and put a few gallons of water in it. I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it myself. You know those welds they tote as being amazing and sanitary and the cat's ass? Well, my weld LEAKS! I don't know what I am gonna do. If it were the valve it's an easy fix... but the weld? I guess I'm giving them a call in the morning.

Pictures forthcoming.

Bummer! I work with 100's of Tri-Clover fittings every day and rarely see a leak from the connection, aside from an occasional warped flange. Are you the original owner? I'd imagine they'll take care of you either way. Any good welder will be able to grind out the old and lay a nice new bead. Good luck!

I am sure they will make good on it. Dissappointing to be excited about getting a new piece of equipment and then not be able to use it. Let us know what they say.

Yeah I have no doubts they should be good for it. It's a pretty pricey shipping bill, however. And your'e right... I was damn excited to use that thing. So much waiting. Oh well, the beer is in a big boil pot now haha.

Now that the dust has cleared I owe it to MoreBeer to update this thread.

They had fantastic customer service and have decided to fabricate me a new cone, pay the shipping to me and will include a prepaid FedEx slip for me to mail the old one back to them. Everything should work out fine!

I have nothing but excellent things to say about Morebeer's customer service. Beth and her team are fantastic! I ordered both a sculpture and heated/cooled conical at the same time and unfortunately had an issue with both. They were quick to diagnose the issue and had replacements sent to me right away. They definitely stand behind their products.

Wow! That's too bad it leaks. Man, that's what I call a happiness destroyer. Not to be the devils advocate during your time of being bummed out. But, it seems reasonable, that you would have put water and cleaner in it first, with the valves turned off, and would notice the leak, before sending it on its maiden voyage full of wort.

Wow! That's too bad it leaks. Man, that's what I call a happiness destroyer. Not to be the devils advocate during your time of being bummed out. But, it seems reasonable, that you would have put water and cleaner in it first, with the valves turned off, and would notice the leak, before sending it on its maiden voyage full of wort.

Haha I know, I know. I did fill it up and cleaned all thoroughly but with water everywhere and in the laundry sink, the leak wasn't enough for me to notice. Oh well, all will get sorted out.

Do you have the new one yet? I am interested in getting one of the 27 gallon heated and cooled conicals and would love to hear how you like it once you get a non-leaky one.

Do you have the new one yet? I am interested in getting one of the 27 gallon heated and cooled conicals and would love to hear how you like it once you get a non-leaky one.

Yikes, am I ever late replying to this... Anyway, the thing is fantastic! Highly recommended. Morebeer has awesome customer support too and I'm sure the leak was an anomaly. I've got mine in an upright fridge with one of the temp controllers off ebay.

Back