label making

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewmebaby

Reaction score
whats up fellow zymurgists? scanning through some of your awesome looking labels and noticed a reference to "GIMP" as though it was a software product. i'd appreciate any info about it as i am interested in making labels for my fine homebrew. also, does anyone know of a paper or plastic product for labels that will stick to the bottle, but is able to pull off without leaving a layer of adhesive.

olllllo said:
Download GIMP here for free
http://www.gimp.org/

I (and many others here) use milk and regular paper for labels. You read that right, milk. Any ('cept maybe chocolate) 1%, 2, Skim, Whole.

indeed. ive tried buying 'label paper' with 'glue' on the backside, and experienced very very very unsatisfactory results. then i tried the milk method...using some decent quality color laser paper at work, and fat free milk i got what i would consider ultimate results. easy to apply, stay on until you want them to come off.

Wheat Kingthen said:
i tried the milk method...using some decent quality color laser paper at work, and fat free milk i got what i would consider ultimate results. easy to apply, stay on until you want them to come off.

Holy crap, that is awesome. I've never heard of this milk technique. Must...google...now...

I just use a water soluable glue stick. It works well and hot water gets the labels off.

olllllo said:
Download GIMP here for free
http://www.gimp.org/

I (and many others here) use milk and regular paper for labels. You read that right, milk. Any ('cept maybe chocolate) 1%, 2, Skim, Whole.

so How big is gimp, I am in dial up land here....... I have to plan.

thanks

poetic_entropy said:
so How big is gimp, I am in dial up land here....... I have to plan.

thanks

I don't know. I dont use the program.

Presumably if you would have clicked on the link last night at 11:34 PM It'd be done by now.;)

The GIMP bianary is 7.7 MB. You also need the GTK runtime environment which is 5.5 MB (make sure you get the right version for your Windows edition). Here is the link for the Windows port.

I've used both the Windows version and the Linux version for ~8yrs now and would never use anything else.

I place a folded paper towel on a shallow dish and add just enough milk to get the paper towel wet. I use this to moisten the back of the label. Thnn stick it on the bottle.

Try it out.

Back