10 gal fermenters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skyeman

Reaction score
I'm in the process of upgrading to 10 gal batches.

I don't want to spend that much on either the ss or minibrew conical fermenters but want to probably use plastic (weight, storage etc) instead of glass demijohns (who is this John any way, littlejohn's cousin?).
I've seen barrel-shaped fermenters that are available in Australia and the Uk, but why not here? The 10 gal bucket-shaped ones don't look as resistant to wear-and-tear? Any suggestions on alternatives and sources? I've been looking at plastics manufacturers and things but can't find 10 gal?

Thanks for the help

I brew 10 gal batches, but I use 5 gal ferments (7.5 gal fermenting buckets). 10 gal fermenters are just too difficult to move around.

Thanks for the info.
I think those conicals samc posted might work but would also like to know if anyone else has used them? Also, why does no-one make/use the screw lid barrel types here in the States, they're much more sturdy than buckets? This is what I'm talking about (25 - 60 L ones) - http://www.countrybrewer.com.au/category51_1.htm

Do you have issues with differences between the fermenters Scooby Brew or do they turn out the same?

Thanks again

Thanks for the info.
I think those conicals samc posted might work but would also like to know if anyone else has used them? Also, why does no-one make/use the screw lid barrel types here in the States, they're much more sturdy than buckets? This is what I'm talking about (25 - 60 L ones) - http://www.countrybrewer.com.au/category51_1.htm

Do you have issues with differences between the fermenters Scooby Brew or do they turn out the same?

Thanks again

I've seen those for sale in the states. I have a link around somewhere and will try to dig it up when I get home from work. If I remember, I found them for sale at a chemical company and they were food safe. I have only seen them for sale once at a homebrew store, and they were way too steep. I also know someone who uses the square ones without issue, as they are kind of made internally to flow to the drain spot. If you want, you can look at what shipping through USPS would be from APO, AE 09104 to your location based on the dimensions. I can get them fairly cheap at Brouwland, just look around there.

Do a search for Inductor tanks, several threads detailing the use of them. Mine works great however I rarely use it as I prefer a 15 gallon corny keg fermenter as it is easier for me to transfer with CO2.

I think it weights about 15 pounds... 11 gallons in there - roughly 88 pounds = 103 pounds. Hey... I work out... just don't have to on brew day!

Yeah I know... I don't want to think about cleaning up all that glass, or how my foot would feel with 100+ pounds dropped on it.

Sanke Keg 1/2 barrel for my 10gal batches - just picked up 2 more yesterday :). I have tried different 10+ gallon plastic buckets and never found one that I liked. Good luck and keep us posted.

I use these

Not sure where in California you are but I get these for free from a local dairy farmer, they come with sanitizer in them. They are looking for people to take them so they dont have to pay to get rid of them.

I use these

Not sure where in California you are but I get these for free from a local dairy farmer, they come with sanitizer in them. They are looking for people to take them so they dont have to pay to get rid of them.

+1

I've been using these. My LHBS sells them for cheap. The malt extract they receive frequently arrives in these, so they have them available frequently.

I ferment in my Sanke hlt. The nice thing is I can just boil a little water with my CF chiller in the hlt and be positive that both are sanitized and ready for action! It's hard to beat steam for sanitizing.

A conical or carboys have always seemed like a big PIA compared to this since you can't boil them, so you have to worry more about getting the nooks and crannies clean & sanitized. And I don't really want to keep 15 gallons of sanitizer around. The hlt is a no brainer, and I've never had an infection.

i love the Vittles Vaults.

I just switched from 6G BB's to 8G Vittles cause I need the head room for a 5.5G batch.

Now I'm losing alot less hop bitterness from blow off

Great stuff.

I A conical or carboys have always seemed like a big PIA compared to this since you can't boil them, so you have to worry more about getting the nooks and crannies clean & sanitized. And I don't really want to keep 15 gallons of sanitizer around. The hlt is a no brainer, and I've never had an infection.

I have never mixed more then a quart of sanitizer at a time. It only needs to get surface wet for a minute to sanitize. I see so many people fill a 5 gallon carboy full of sanitizer and let it sit thinking it needs to be submerged, then they dump it all out, what a waste. It only takes 1.5ml star san or iodophor for 32oz water. Slosh it around to wet the surface and let it drain out. For my open top buckets I only use maybe 1 oz out of a squirt bottle.

Back