Dry Beer/Belgian Candi Sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigB

Reaction score
A couple months back I brewed up a Leffe Clone. At bottling, the beer tasted fantastic, even though it was flat. The recipe called for adding 1/3rd cup of Belgian Clear candi sugar along with 1/2 cup corn sugar for priming. Now my question is: Has anyone else experienced an excessive drying out of the beer from the priming stage? It carbonated beautifully, the color is nearly perfect, and the flavor at bottling seemed to be spot on... This was the first recipe I used that specified candi sugar at priming, so I wonder if that is what dried it out.

that's a LOT of sugar, which is ok because you want this beer highly carbed. The dryness you are perceiving is from the higher carbonation. More carbonation will give your beer a lighter mouthfeel.

The problem is not with the carbonation.... as I stated, the carbonation is spot on with the original- But, mine is considerably drier. It is by no means excessively carbonated. It is definitely well within the guidelines for the style (2.2-2.8). Mine is probably closer to 2.6.

I feel you. I find if the sweetness is just right at bottling, it will be a little dry when conditioned. This is with a moderate priming, I'm going to go a little conservative with my oatmeal stout and porter that I have going. My lagers don't seem to be affected as much.

Back