Welp, I'm out of business...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any news on the rebuild? I know it's been awhile since this disaster happened- as I'm new to the board I just read this all for the first time. Things going okay?

The house just reached the 50% mark yesterday when the sheet rock got hung... its hard to believe that its not further along, but we did end up doing a FULL remodel- there isn't a single room in the house that is laid out the same as it was before the flood.

I'm going to have to wait until a little later in the project to see how much money is left over to build the brewery, but it will happen- one way or the other, it will happen!

We (my boys and I) are currently living in our travel trailer in the backyard but are slowly moving back in. All thats left is to get the sod and landscaping redone.. BUT, and it is a big *but*, is that we've gone over budget and I'm out of money.. so, as of right now, we haven't even started on an outbuilding for storage and the brewery.

If all goes well, the house will be valued considerably more than pre-flood and I'll be able to borrow a little more to build the brewery in the backyard (on stilts).. but I won't know for sure for a few more weeks.

Trailer, sweet trailer. :)

trailer.jpg

Oh yeah.. it has all hookups except for sewage but I have a special pump for that which feeds it to my home sewer.

FYI, we have moved back into the house- but only barely. I'll have to post some new photos soon. Right now I still don't know what I'm going to do for a brewery but plan to solve that problem as soon as I get all my refinancing done..

just wanna bring this back up.. how's the house? started on your brewery on stilts yet?

My builder should hopefully be getting me the quote on the new brewery tomorrow- as well as his schedule to get it built. I think after things have settled, I've decided to just build it around the same elevation as the house.. It will be 16'x24' and have a sizable loft above it for storage. It will have hot and cold water, its own 200-AMP breaker for electricity and a natural gas hookup for my rig. I have no idea about cold storage, but I will probably end up building another walk-in cooler based on what I learned from building/operating my previous one.

I guess I'll start a new thread for its build once we break ground- perhaps as soon as next week!

Wow, what a nightmare! I hope life is getting back to normal for you.

I had read the other thread in its entirety about building the walk-in cooler. At the end of that thread, there was that forelorn post: I'm out of business. Now, I find the other thread, and I'm happy that your house has come back together! I am especially happy for you that you will be able to build a new brewhouse! Keep us posted, please.

glenn514:mug:

Hey Gabe,
Glad to hear the brewery is finally going up. Can you share any more pics of the remodel though? Would love to see what caused you to go over budget. How much did the insurance finally kick in? Did you get any more than the $85K. How much did you end up going over?
Cheers!

Jon... just follow the link he posted right above ;)

God interviened. he must have thought your brewing rig was better than his.. Sorry to hear about the flood on a serious note. I want to give up on my rig already after seeing yours.. cant even imagine myself having the capability to build something like this but I think i am going to show this rig to my brother and make him do all the planning and await buying your software. Damn man so in love with your rig.

Here are a photos from the flood. This is my next door neighbors house the day before the water crested around 20"~24" higher.

flood1.jpg

flood2.jpg

And here is what was left of my brewery afterwards:
flood3.jpg

OK, and here are some photos of the (near) finished remodel. These photos were taken right around Thanksgiving and we really weren't settled yet. Hell, we still not really settled..

I completely redesigned the entire house and opened it up. The kitchen is the focal point. The garage/brewery became the master bedroom suite turning it from a 3 bedroom / 2 bath into a 4 bedroom / 3 bath.

house1.jpg

house2.jpg

house3.jpg
http://johnbeere.com/flood/house1.jpg

And here are a few photos of the master bathroom. My friend who works at Jacuzzi here in town was able to get us all great deals on tubs.. and my shower is my little reward to myself for having to bathe in my travel trailer's tiny shower for 7 months. :)

house7.jpg

house8.jpg

house9.jpg

Yeah, that's a touchscreen in the shower.. heh

Yep, I'm very proud of it.. I had no idea what the end results were going to be when I started, but it turned out perfect. And I'm proud to say that I made most all the choices myself, including the paint- everyone initially thought I was crazy when they saw the palette but instantly loved it when it was finished..

Very nice home. I like the kitchen and all the hardwood style flooring. I've had carpet in every place I've lived, when I finally buy or have a house built, no carpet but area rugs.

I also have the same Dewalt radio, thing is a beast.

Looks like you did alright. Good to see things are back in line for you after everything that you went through.

Well, this has been a rollercoaster thread! Big congratulations on turning a terrible situation around and making the house so awesome. I'm just thinking of buying a place here in England with my girlfriend, and I reckon your house with the brew-shed might be my ultimate dream house! : )

It is hard to believe that one year ago today, I and all my neighbors lost our homes in the flood.. It has been a very long year and I'm still not 100% 'recovered', but in the end it has also been a very good year!

It is hard to believe that one year ago today, I and all my neighbors lost our homes in the flood.. It has been a very long year and I'm still not 100% 'recovered', but in the end it has also been a very good year!

Congratulations and you have a lot of resolve. Awesome rebuild btw :mug:

Hi John,

It's good to hear things are better for you. I'm still not 100% recovered from losing my job over a year ago, but things are looking a bit better.

Cheers,

EdWort

That's a beautiful house John, kitchen and shower are always my focal points.

Couldn't have done it better myself. Glad to see you recovered well from the flood.

Glad to see the new house man. Looks great. And that shower is Awesome! I will be showering in our Travel Trailers tiny shower this weekend for the first time, but back to the house on Monday:)

So old thread and all. But I was really curious to hear how you resolved the insurance offer ($85k?). At the time you were saying it seemed to be low.

So old thread and all. But I was really curious to hear how you resolved the insurance offer ($85k?). At the time you were saying it seemed to be low.

I settled for more than that, but it still hurt.. What sucked is that I didn't have content insurance- I do now. I'll say that if I ever go through anything like that again, I'll hire a lawyer to argue it in detail for me!

Back