Is my beer ok?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joutlaw

Reaction score
I'm in MS and just got power back after Monday night. My beer was in 85F+ temperatures during the day and around 80F at night. I had one in the primary, a spiced wheat, and one in the secondary, an amber ale.

The spiced wheat was made Sunday and had a vigorous ferment in under 3 hours from pitching. It had stopped bubbling by Tuesday, but I don't know if was due to the heat... I'm afraid so.

I'm wondering with the temperatures sustained if I should stir up the primary and see if I get activity. There is foam and other yeasty looking things at the top of it.

I'm willing ot bet it's done. I also bet it has a strong bananna and/or clove flavor. :D

A lot of folks see their beers finish primary in 2-3 days, esp. during the summer. At your temps, I don't doubt it's done. I'd rack it and take a hydrometer reading in a week or two.

Glad to hear you pulled through and already have power again....I guess you're a good ways from the coast?

I'm in Jackson about 180 miles from the coast. We had 80 - 100 mph winds and 97% of the metro area lost power. We have significant damage, but nothing compared to the gulf coast and Nawlin's :(

Yep... you know my priorities were right during the whole ordeal... I was most afraid for my homebrew... :D

j/k... I have a lot of family and friends from the gulf coast. I have one friend from New Orleans and no one has heard from him. He didn't evacuate as well.

We had some friends ride it out in Gautier near Ocean Springs and they are ok.. but they lost their home.

It's sad and truly desperate. Our population has doubled and tempers are running thin. We'll make it though and this area will boom with economic development.

Well I bottled the amber today.. The FG was around 1.005.... Seemed low, but it tasted good from the sample.

The spiced wheat was another thing... I transferred it from the primary to my secondary and it looked real cloudy. The gravity was 1.010, which seemed low as well at this point. It has started a secondary fermentation, and seems to be cleaning up some in the past couple of hours. The taste is well... clove-like, just like Sam said above. I'm hoping it might improve slightly in the secondary.

Since the temp was too high for the wheat beer you may want to consider dry hopping in the secondary to lower some of the clove flavor.

I made a Christmas beer once hoping it would be ready for Turkey day. It was too bitter due to (real) cloves. It tasted best about mid-Jan.

Good luck.

Back