Hops Rescue?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hopheader

Reaction score
Looks like all the care I gave my plants might have resulted in too much water retention/improper drainage. Anyone know how I might go about trying to save some of the rhizomes? Just snip and replant?

backstory: took a plant from a friend this spring, split into three pots in the house, they LOVED it, almost 4' tall by the time I put outside in the ground. Prepped ground with manure, compost, triple mix and cedar mulch on top but within two days, growth had stopped and everything went limp and yellow.

I fear too much water was held in soil and someone told me I put them out too late, since they were already so tall and the environment shock did them in. Someone else told me it was still too early here (Canada, up to low 20's C during day, 5-8 C at night) but others (prior year, of course) are already up several feet and nice big leaves.

Any tips for trying to rescue something here or should I be clipping some shoots from friends' beds and starting fresh?

Thanks...

hophead jeff

If the soil is wet, let it dry out before you water again. And not just the surface, check the moisture deep.

Otherwise, just wait. It's likely just shock. I x-planted a Cascade from a pot a few years ago and it took nearly 2 months to sprout again. Now, it's one of my healthiest plants.

Yeah, it is quite damp down there. I haven't watered in about 5 days... and it hasn't rained much, so that was just from a trickle-water.

Now that my siding is complete on the sunniest area of my house, I'm hoping I can also start some there and will just be like other members of my local brew club: just throw the rhizomes in the dirt mound and reap the harvest in the fall!

Not sure about hops, but I know when I start plants inside that they need a period of time to get used to the outside sun. Even if they are kept in a sunny window it doesnt compare to the intense sun outside. They say that when a plant looks ready, leave it outside for one hour. Then the next day two hours, and so on until it gets the same amount of sun as it would in the ground. When I dont do this (with veggies), they start turning limp and yellow for a good week or so then come back.

Not sure about hops, but I know when I start plants inside that they need a period of time to get used to the outside sun. Even if they are kept in a sunny window it doesnt compare to the intense sun outside. They say that when a plant looks ready, leave it outside for one hour. Then the next day two hours, and so on until it gets the same amount of sun as it would in the ground. When I dont do this (with veggies), they start turning limp and yellow for a good week or so then come back.

This is why I think it is better to just plant the rhizomes outside when you get them. Let them acclimatize themselves to the local conditions. They will send up shoots when the plant's internal clock tells them the time is right. If the first shoots freeze, no worries - the plant will send out some more in a few days.

This is why I think it is better to just plant the rhizomes outside when you get them. Let them acclimatize themselves to the local conditions. They will send up shoots when the plant's internal clock tells them the time is right. If the first shoots freeze, no worries - the plant will send out some more in a few days.

My approach as well. I've had one rhizome out of nine over two years not make it with this method, and that one looked dead when I dropped it in the ground.

Still no further movement/change in the bines, nor anything coming up from the ground. People say 'they might come back' but it has been over a week for sure now. Wondering if I should hack them off and maybe others will go?
Sigh...poor little cascades....

As long as you put the whole root system in they'll be back next year as long as you water as you do the other plants. You may not see a sprout until next year but don't give up on the girl.

She's back!!!
To update: I had a single plant dug up from a friend; I had it as three pots, of the three, I cut down one right to the dirt and it looked totally dead when I pulled it from the dirt. I decided to leave the other two as-is with the withered-looking bines/leaves. On Sunday I went out and thought the leaves looked a bit greener--so I put a pencil mark on the garage where the tip of one was. Next day the pencil mark appeared lower!

Today, made a new mark--appears they are going about 1.5" a day. That's signs of life and that's happy enough for me. I know they don't get enough sun because of the location (no sun till about 12:30pm and then no sun after 4:30)---bad planning on my part.

But once I get something rigged for my new siding on the south side of my house, watch out next year!!!

Today, made a new mark--appears they are going about 1.5" a day. That's signs of life and that's happy enough for me. I know they don't get enough sun because of the location (no sun till about 12:30pm and then no sun after 4:30)---bad planning on my part.

But once I get something rigged for my new siding on the south side of my house, watch out next year!!!

Congrats there happy papa.. :D

My second year Cascade sprouted in March, surprised the hell out of me to see them that early. Then took off like mad. In late May, there were days the bines would grow 16-18 inches!!!!!

I want to get some time lapse of it early next year. They're amazing.

Here's my 'stunted' garden for year one. They appear to be making a show of it now. About 1.5" per day.

and the little babies I cut down to the dirt are making a run for it now!
HoppyGoodness.jpg
[/IMG]

uh...why are my photos not appearing? I'm a paid member now!

Back