too much headspace in carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VermontFreedom

Reaction score
Having just become involved in homebrew (only made 15 or so different brews, including just 2 different meads), I've been doing my fermentation in 6-gallon food-grade plastic buckets (specifically for fermentation) or 6-gallon carboys. I finally wised up and got some 3-gallon carboys for smaller batches.

But...my first two meads (both 2-gallon recipes), are sitting in 6-gallon carboys. I'm concerned that all that headspace (air) is or will introduce some off flavors.

Should I be worried about this and if there are off flavors, any easy way to get rid of them? I have some 1-gallon glass jugs.

Would it be worthwhile to transfer the meads to these, now that they've been sitting in those carboys at 55 degrees for about 6 months?

If they need racking (i.e. to get them off a slight sediment before thinking about bottling) then do it. If not and the mead is clear why not just bottle it? Seems a waste - Carboys need to be both full and productive......:)

Back