3oz Cascade = 3oz Simcoe? DRY HOPPING

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

letsbrew

Reaction score
Hi there!

I usually dry hop my beers (5gal) with 3oz of cascade but i plan to use the same amount with simcoe hops that have higher aa%, what do your experience can tell me? Can i get a more bitter beer instead of flavourful and bigs aromas?

Cheers!

Forgot to mention that i want to achieve more flavor and aroma in a unfollowed guidelines beer from bjcp a red ale more big

Bitterness is created from hops when isomerization occurs, which requires high temps (that's one of the reasons we boil our wort). Without high temps, the hop acids can't isomerize and they don't become bitter. So, no, you won't get bitterness despite the higher AA content.

Bitterness is created from hops when isomerization occurs, which requires high temps (that's one of the reasons we boil our wort). Without high temps, the hop acids can't isomerize and they don't become bitter. So, no, you won't get bitterness despite the higher AA content.

you are right this makes sense, but i will get more flavor and aroma dont you think that? thats what i want :rockin:

you are right this makes sense, but i will get more flavor and aroma dont you think that? thats what i want :rockin:

Both have a grapefruit/citrusy flavor, but Simcoe will be more pronounced. Some say Simcoe is more piney, but that will depend on other variables. If you want "more", Simcoe might be a good choice.... but beware of overdoing it. You can get pine needle cat pee too... :)

It's the hop oils that contribute to aroma, I think. So more oils, more aroma. CHeck the oil content of the hops. I think simcoe typically has more oil.

It's extremely hard to make that assessment.

It's not just the amount of oils but the amounts of different types of different essential oils that determines the potency of a given hop. You can make a rough estimate of how potent a hop will be based on the oil content, but it's going to be an estimate at best.

On that note, simcoe does have more oil. USAhops.org lists the oil content of cascade as .7-1.4 Mls./gram of dried hops whereas simcoe is 2.0-2.5

Back