Country music's fixation on ICE COLD BEER

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You know it's cold when the can turns blue...

... Because these people don't know how to sense temperature...

NO, all country does not suck.

YES, almost all BMC lager does suck.

My musical tastes actually range pretty hardcore into bluegrass and sorta country.

Josh ritter, drive-by truckers, Todd Snyder, Mason Jennings, etc.

Old country has some fantastic music. It is the New Pop Country Dog **** that comprises the country music awards that ALL SUCKS.

So effing awful.

YES, top 40 Lady gaga pop trash sucks too, and is filled with a ton of crapola, but at least it varies to a large degree.

While it shamelessly panders, the obvious doodybag ploys of country music retards (ie; JEESIS, HUGE effing pickup trucks, Ice cold beer, amurica, etc.)

Lady Gaga>Taylor Swift

Even if I'd rather watch the latter many times over. Lady Gaga gets a ton of crap probably 100% because of how she looks, but her songs are incredibly well written, and I don't know how much of it she has but she has writing credit on all her music. Her and Adele get passes from me when it comes to pop cause they can play instruments and they can write.

She's been incredibly successful keeping a loyal fanbase who feel personally engaged by her. She's interesting, and the message and tone of her songs isnt completely vapid. She isnt my cup of tea, but she gets a pass.

OK all you guys hating on country listen to this song and tell me you do not like it

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry! at work, can't view.

MAMAMAMAMAMAMAMAMA pokerface

I GOT A REASON YOU CAN TAKE ME HOME TONIGHT YEAH BABY! TONIGHT YEAH BABY!

Epic songwriting.:drunk:

She has talent, but so do the brewers who make Bud Ice. Does NOT mean I'm gonna ingest it.

Sorry! at work, can't view.

MAMAMAMAMAMAMAMAMA pokerface

I GOT A REASON YOU CAN TAKE ME HOME TONIGHT YEAH BABY! TONIGHT YEAH BABY!

Epic songwriting.:drunk:

She has talent, but so do the brewers who make Bud Ice. Does NOT mean I'm gonna ingest it.

Pokerface is incredibly well written.

Also realize I'm talking about music as much as lyrics. Led Zeppelin and Rush are 2 amazing bands, but some of their songs are so poorly written it's comical. This is coming from mind you a massive Led Zeppelin fan and a big Rush fan.

She is a pop artist so she's limited in what she can write and perform.

The brewers at the BUD ICE factory are pretty limited in what they can make too.;)

Like I said, she has talent. If she chooses to pander to the top 40 zombies and limit herself, rather than being true to herself, then I hate her all the more.

Even if she was pop to the core and was being true to herself, she is SO sickeningly sweet pop that I would still not listen to it.

The brewers at the BUD ICE factory are pretty limited in what they can make too.;)

Like I said, she has talent. If she chooses to pander to the top 40 zombies and limit herself, rather than being true to herself, then I hate her all the more.

Even if she was pop to the core and was being true to herself, she is SO sickeningly sweet pop that I would still not listen to it.

Difference is that the Bud Ice Brewers aren't doign it to be ironic.

As far as pandering, I don't think she's pandered at all out side of following a traditional pop formula. Which if you knock her for that, knock the Beetles as well as they followed the same basic formula.

Difference is that the Bud Ice Brewers aren't doign it to be ironic.

As far as pandering, I don't think she's pandered at all out side of following a traditional pop formula. Which if you knock her for that, knock the Beetles as well as they followed the same basic formula.

I think the Beatles accidentally invented it. They weren't following anybody.

What's even the definition of country music these days? I feel like it's more and more defined by singing about trucks, ice cold beer, fried chicken after church, and shopping at wal-mart.

Then there's guys like this:

Who sing about stuff that not just us backwater inhabitants experience.

Last edited by a moderator:
I grew up in Rapid City, SD, where the Kmart cowboys were a damn plague. to make it more interesting, they were bikers when it was time for the Sturgis Rally. but I got to hear a lot of, "I'm a simple man, with simple tastes. I don't need no fancy new imported beer. Just a regular, honest, plain, ice cold Bud. The way beer's supposed to be."

I also got a good laugh from one of these town dwelling, Reba talking, giant buckle buying, wanna be $h!ft kickers. guy walks into a fancy coffee place, the kind that specializes in espresso drinks and premium roast coffees. then proceeds to make a huge production about how he was just a "plain, regular, normal, everyday cawffee. Not some mochachini frapalini. Just a regular, everyday cawffee." I told him there's a gas station less than half a block away. the server ended up giving him some mild breakfast blend and he said it was too strong.

Pokerface is incredibly well written.

Also realize I'm talking about music as much as lyrics. Led Zeppelin and Rush are 2 amazing bands, but some of their songs are so poorly written it's comical. This is coming from mind you a massive Led Zeppelin fan and a big Rush fan.

I'd like to see Gaga write a song about two arguing trees and have it be legit. Mr. Peart's writing is, for the most part, very well written. Gaga is better than most of these pop artists, but she is in no way on par with Neil and Geddy. Oh, BTW I don't really like Rush. I have a man crush on Layne Staley and Jerry Cantrell. Now that is some well written music.

I'd like to see Gaga write a song about two arguing trees and have it be legit. Mr. Peart's writing is, for the most part, very well written. Gaga is better than most of these pop artists, but she is in no way on par with Neil and Geddy. Oh, BTW I don't really like Rush. I have a man crush on Layne Staley and Jerry Cantrell. Now that is some well written music.

The trees has horrific lyrics. At best it's a thinly veiled political song, at worst it's a nonsensical song about trees talking (he said his inspiration was a cartoon with 2 trees talkign to each other) let's not make him out to be a better song writer than he was. Rush is amazing because of their skilsl as a musicians and the oddly spectacular singing of Geddy Lee.

I love AIC. But some of their stuff is very cruddy as well. I mean I love Nutshell, but it sounds like it was written by a high school freshman. Song writing is freaking hard.

The fact that the trees is about nothing, but you percieve a possible political agenda shows Peart's talent. Geddy Lee is an awesome musician and singer, but he is dependent upon the lyrics that Peart writes. I sure cannot write a song like the trees and have it make any sense at all. AiC is grunge, it is supposed to sound dirty Cantrell composed all of AiC's music in a classical manner and then muddied it up. His passion for the lyrics that he writes is very evident. Take an hour and listen to some AiC songs while reading the lyrics. That is one of my favorite things to do with music. You pick up quite a bit more about what the song truly means when you read it and then listen to it. You are definitely right that songwriting is freaking hard. That is why so many artists these days don't write their own. Atleast Gaga writes her own!

The fact that the trees is about nothing, but you percieve a possible political agenda shows Peart's talent. Geddy Lee is an awesome musician and singer, but he is dependent upon the lyrics that Peart writes. I sure cannot write a song like the trees and have it make any sense at all. AiC is grunge, it is supposed to sound dirty Cantrell composed all of AiC's music in a classical manner and then muddied it up. His passion for the lyrics that he writes is very evident. Take an hour and listen to some AiC songs while reading the lyrics. That is one of my favorite things to do with music. You pick up quite a bit more about what the song truly means when you read it and then listen to it. You are definitely right that songwriting is freaking hard. That is why so many artists these days don't write their own. Atleast Gaga writes her own!

So wait, not having a clue what the song is about makes someone a great writer? That's leading down a dark trail cause pretty much every song ever has more than on meaning unless the writer tells you what it's about (ZOMG My Hero is about Kurt Cobain, but it's not even close to being about that)

AIC is only "grunge" because they were from Seattle, like Sound Garden they sounded much more metal than they did like Pearl Jam, Green River, Mudhoney, Screaming Trees, etc. I love AIC and some Cantrell songs hit me in the gut especially in the total package. For example while the lyrics to Rooster are strong, there isn't exactly a lot of them so it could be contrived as being a simple song until you hear the power Layne delivers the song. Down in a Hole is depressing as crap, and I nearly cried when I first heard Black Gives Way to Blue. Cantrell is a great songwriter, but short of Bob Dylan I'd be hard pressed to think of someone who almost never screws up lyrically (is there a better lyrical song than Tangled Up in Blue?)

I personally have more or less given up on writing lyrics, maybe I'm the type of person who's too hard on himself (Eddie Vedder seems to be a lot like that) but it's really effin hard.

IMHO grunge wasn't always a sound, but the principles for which the band stood for. Everyone that played in southern King co in the late 80's and early 90's was heavily influenced by metal, but you are correct in saying that AiC stuck with its sound a bit more than some of those others. Man I wish my old man would have taken me to more shows in the early 90s. I remember standing outside in the rain all day in 1995 at Bumbershoot because someone heard that PJ was going to play. They did, and we were about 12 feet from the stage and it is one of my favorite memories.
I guess that I should have worded that abit differently. The trees was a song that got you to think. You could think of political opression if that is where you wanted to go, but it got you to think. I think that was the goal behind that song. That is why I think its a pretty well written song. We are talking about it more than 30 years later, so it must have been ok.
Bob never took part in anything poor! That man is brilliant. Even with his (IMO) crappy voice he was able to put out some great work. Sometimes I think his voice added to his songwriting abilities. He always had to think, how can I write this so that I can sing it and still make it sound good.

What a group writes in a song might resonate with one person and not another. Then you add the ability to play the instruments and that adds another dimension to the music. Sometimes the writing will overpower the music with one person while another person might be moved by the music.

I know that Rush have both abilities at least in the earlier music for me. The song writing kind of paled in the later years but the music has remained solid.

The same can be said for any group I think. It just depends on the person and what they think

IMHO grunge wasn't always a sound, but the principles for which the band stood for. Everyone that played in southern King co in the late 80's and early 90's was heavily influenced by metal, but you are correct in saying that AiC stuck with its sound a bit more than some of those others. Man I wish my old man would have taken me to more shows in the early 90s. I remember standing outside in the rain all day in 1995 at Bumbershoot because someone heard that PJ was going to play. They did, and we were about 12 feet from the stage and it is one of my favorite memories.
I guess that I should have worded that abit differently. The trees was a song that got you to think. You could think of political opression if that is where you wanted to go, but it got you to think. I think that was the goal behind that song. That is why I think its a pretty well written song. We are talking about it more than 30 years later, so it must have been ok.
Bob never took part in anything poor! That man is brilliant. Even with his (IMO) crappy voice he was able to put out some great work. Sometimes I think his voice added to his songwriting abilities. He always had to think, how can I write this so that I can sing it and still make it sound good.

Well I will say I haven't heard every Dylan song, so he may have more than one clunker, but Rainy Day women is a clunker. I mean it's not a bad song, but it's not his best or even good lyricism.

I was way too young to go to concerts when AIC, PJ, Nirvana, etc. were all at their peak. I have seen Pearl Jam (saw them right before or after their self titled album, put on a hell of a show, probably a good 2 hours and 40 minutes of music), I've seen the new formation of Alice in Chains (such a great show still. I actually like Duvall a lot and the changes he makes to some of their songs because face it no one sings like layne)

I mean to me the Trees always sounded like the little song that thought it could. if you eliminate the last verse, I think it's a much better song. No need for Maples to form a union. Not needed at all, especially since that goes against the principle of shade tolerance as well which maples are higher in than Oaks so they don't need the sun as much as the oaks. Haha.

Well I will say I haven't heard every Dylan song, so he may have more than one clunker, but Rainy Day women is a clunker. I mean it's not a bad song, but it's not his best or even good lyricism.

I was way too young to go to concerts when AIC, PJ, Nirvana, etc. were all at their peak. I have seen Pearl Jam (saw them right before or after their self titled album, put on a hell of a show, probably a good 2 hours and 40 minutes of music), I've seen the new formation of Alice in Chains (such a great show still. I actually like Duvall a lot and the changes he makes to some of their songs because face it no one sings like layne)

I mean to me the Trees always sounded like the little song that thought it could. if you eliminate the last verse, I think it's a much better song. No need for Maples to form a union. Not needed at all, especially since that goes against the principle of shade tolerance as well which maples are higher in than Oaks so they don't need the sun as much as the oaks. Haha.

Yeah man, I was too young to enjoy it all that much, but my old man got me started on that scene when I was young. He took me to any of the shows that weren't in bars and stuff. Heck, I was only 11 when we saw Pearl Jam at Bumbershoot. I really like the new version of AiC, but you're right man, no one can sing like Layne could. His voice made alot of what AiC was and still is. DuVall has done some good stuff with them and he doesn't try to be Layne Staley. Man, I love music. Just how many ways you can interpret a song and all that. One song could mean one thing to me and something else to another person. I feel that alot of new music, Rock Country Rap or Pop, is only made to sell records and not just because its freaking awesome. That was my favorite thing about the grunge idea. Just play killer songs and who gives a **** about everything else. I listen to pretty much everything because there are great artists in every genre, but I love older music more than most new stuff. I'm not trying to say that there wasn't a commercialization of grunge and such, but it wasn't the driving force behind the music. I also think its cool that songs can cross genres and be good either way. Reznor's version of Hurt was great, but so was Johnny Cash's version. I would love to find a bar scene around here that has alot of local bands playing, but being in a military community there isn't much to choose from. Everyone out here just wants to drink BMC and get smashed all the time. I drink my fair share of BMC at concerts and stuff, but I'm more interested in the show than the beer in those situations. Stupid heroin had to ruin great vocalists like Layne Staley.

I'm surprised there isn't more of a music scene. Because of the stupid cost of gas most artists are staying more local. I know I've seen a handful of cool local acts. They're not my favorite band ever but they're still cool to watch and the venues you go to are awesome. I guess things are a little different in NJ since Philly and NYC are close there is more of a natural music scene but I'd hope more areas have a similar scene.

My big thing is SINGER/SONGWRITER.

Some moron that was born with a voice, but can't play an instrument or write a song is worthless.

That said, American Idol is the root of a reasonable portion of EVIL.

My big thing is SINGER/SONGWRITER.

Some moron that was born with a voice, but can't play an instrument or write a song is worthless.

That said, American Idol is the root of a reasonable portion of EVIL.

0.jpg

American Idol has only produced 2 true sticking stars. Carrie Underwood didn't start righting more than 2 songs per album until her album sales went in the pooper. Kelly Clarkson writes a chunk of her own music, but she's also pretty worthless though I think she writes more of her music than Underwood.

Thankfulyl it seems like American Idol is being largely tuned out as an option. Afterall now they have Nikki Minaj judging people's ability to sing. That would be like my fat rear judging peoples ability to diet.

I like my beers cold and I can appreciate all music. I just don't prefer modern country music. To repetitious and whiney. I can’t stand "woe is me" "whiney ass music” no matter what the genre. it’s hard enough to stay positive in today’s world I don’t need music to bring me down. I prefer the good old country music that is uplifting or has a party theme. With the one exception of Toby Keith…If I here that stupid red Solo cup song again I will puke in my beer..just sayin.:cross:

The question is. If country artists made songs like "drinking summer saison" or "my great uncle dunkleweizen", would you like country because they are singing about Craft beer vs bmc.

"Got my grains in the water, makin beer is my plan, not a worry in the world a milk stout in my hand, Swmbos nice today, oh Swmbos nice today

The question is. If country artists made songs like "drinking summer saison" or "my great uncle dunkleweizen", would you like country because they are singing about Craft beer vs bmc.

"Got my grains in the water, makin beer is my plan, not a worry in the world a milk stout in my hand, Swmbos nice today, oh Swmbos nice today

NO. That is my point.

In isolated incidents, OK, but when every song references beverage, vehicle, religeon, etc. that is when it becomes unoriginal pandering.

Wow, this thread grew fast...lots of hate to country music in the first few pages I read. One thing I learned long ago is that music is incredibly individualistic, its art. I can't stand rap, hip hop or R&B personally, but I will never degrade someone for liking it or call those genres crap...I just don't care for it. Anyway, that is my little soap box, I'm going back to listening to the Dubliners and drinking my coffee at work.

This Friday my wife made me promise to take her to the country place so she can dance one last time before she is too pregnant to move like that. I will put my dog in the kennel, put on my sh#tkickers, hop in my truck, I will stand and watch all the girls in their tight low cut jeans and low cut shirts bounce around while enjoying a cold beer like a good sport, and then go out back and smoke my pipe and indifferently ignore the group of sorority looking girls who will inevitably see me smoking an actual pipe and think I'm, like, totally the most cool thing ever...for that moment before their ADHD kicks in because of a cat meme someone posted on their facebook wall.

Don't forget Taylor Swift always whining about relationships like an emo band, meanwhile she seems to have dated every young male in Hollywood...probably should be singing about why she is a train wreck.

What about Zac Brown's cold beer in his hand? That isn't pandering to redneck stereotypes, just a song about taking a weekend trip to Mexico.

Taylor Swift may have had a country beginning, BUT she sure as hell ain't country now even though she's played on every country station across the nation.

To me she's just a Teeny Bobber selling records to high school kids.

God I hate pop country. They occasionally play it at work, beyond my control.

"Where the beer is ice cold"

Don't know the song, but it is a recurring them in country music.

I can't really put it into words. Yes, you can drink beer cold. Yes you can like country music.

Country music's shameless pandering to redneck values such as pick up trucks and ice cold beer is so transparent.

Can you imagine a real songwriter writing about ice cold beer or the vehicle they drive? I can't.

It's not pandering to redneck values. It's singing about life in redneck communities across the country and what's wrong w/that. So what if "they" like their beer ice cold and you like yours a bit warmer?

Back