First AG. But I dont have a good thermometer...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

britishbloke

Reaction score
Hey all.

I found that the cheap thermometer which you get from most begginner beer kits is not reading the temp properly anymore.

Reads at a steady 80 degrees in my house when its 70 degrees. I think I dropped it in the brew pot a few times.

However. I was planning on making my first AG brew and temperature is key here.

Are there any model thermometer companies you recommend me buying from? I cant buy online because I just had the grains crushed two days ago and dont want it going stale.

I think I might run out to home depot to buy it. Also to get parts for a chiller.
:confused:

Ditto the Bird. Target, Walmart, almost every grocery store. Digital works great, just keep the braid dry.

yup...I picked up a taylor digital at walmart for 15 bucks or so to use for both my brewing and cooking. I dunno if the Depot is going to have anything suitable for brewing.

I agree with the Bird the digital uint from Target will do the job for you so you don't have to put off brewing.

But I'd also encourage you to get a calibration thermometer for later use (if you are interested in hitting exact temps.) my Target digital is a few degrees off (5 to be exact) around the 150 degree F range. Plus a calibration themometer is cheap $6-8.

Caution: calibration themomerters are fragile and the alcohol in them is poision so you'll need to be very careful with it.

Something else you can do is put your grains in the freezer or fridge and that will keep them from going stale for a few weeks. Be sure and get them out a day ( or at least the night) before you brew to let them warm up.

Good luck:mug:

The brew store told me that the grain can be out for a few weeks without any problem. I hope thats the truth.

Its been two days that they have been crushed in room temperature. :drunk:

Latest posts

Back