uh oh, in bucket for a couple weeks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickmpower

Reaction score
I dont exactly know how long, but ive had some cider I started a bucket for a couple, maybe a few weeks now. The longest ive done before is a week. Is it going to be oxidized? took a peek and its still fermenting, so hopefully that will save it

It will be fine. The yeast produces CO2 which pushes O2 out of the bucket through the airlock. When the airlock stops bubbling then you know that the yeast has either slowed down or stopped. Opening the bucket is ok, but you risk oxidation more from opening the lid than you do from leaving it in the bucket for a month. A full month of fermentation isn't strange for a cider, neither is a single week. It depends on everything from fermenting temperature, sugar, yeast strain, nutrients, pH, and luck.

RDWHAHB

now see the thing is I just have the lid sitting on top of the bucket with some weight on it. It seems sealed though because minute or so you can hear it release some pressure

I've left beer in buckets for 4 months with no problems at all and I doubt apple cider will suffer any ill effects either.

You do want to look at getting a good airlock and ale pale that seals well. They are pretty cheap.
Saying that I have made meads and ciders that I leave to primary fermentation for months, OK over two months before I get paranoid.
Most beasties that will mess up your brew do not climb up, they just fall down. As long as you can keep bugs, ant's etc out your be fine.

Back