Help with fridge for lagering (pics)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Somerville

Reaction score
Hey I have this mini fridge laying around and thought maybe I could use it for lagering (with the correct external temp. controller). Yet, when I open it, the bottom is not big enough for a fermenter because a big square is going into it...the freezer part is on top and is taking up room, plus the shelves on the door (butter holder) eliminate alot of room too...is there anything I can do to it to make it able to fit a fermenter and carboy (not at the same time). Thanks...here are some pics...the can of soda is for size comparison...thanks again.

Fridge3.jpg

Fridge2.jpg

Make a platform out of plywood that lays on the shelf. then put your fermenter on the platform.

Sudster said:
Make a platform out of plywood that lays on the shelf. then put your fermenter on the platform.

That alone won't work. The freezer at top takes up too much room so a five gallon fermenter or carboy, plus airlock, won't fit.

I've read posts (and seen pictures) where folks say they have carefully bent the freezer floor up to the top of the mini-fridge. If you try it, you have to be careful not to seriously crimp the refrigerant tubes in it, and you most certainly DO NOT want to crack them.

bikebryan said:
That alone won't work. The freezer at top takes up too much room so a five gallon fermenter or carboy, plus airlock, won't fit.

I've read posts (and seen pictures) where folks say they have carefully bent the freezer floor up to the top of the mini-fridge. If you try it, you have to be careful not to seriously crimp the refrigerant tubes in it, and you most certainly DO NOT want to crack them.

That's what I did to mine. Worked like a charm.
I also built a shelf (like Sudster suggested) so the door would shut. I'm proud of my ingenuity to make the fridge work. :)

It's hard for me to tell from the pics the total size of this thing.

You could buy 2.5 gallon carboys that would fit. Split your batches ..but that might be a pain. But , it would work.

Thanks yeah...that would be kind of a hassle and I would have to spend more money lol. The freezer part isnt very airtight which means that perhaps they kind of share temperatures or something...I could take off all the freezer parts but then Im not really sure how a external temp controller will handle that...with the top being really cold and the bottom being less...I dont know...perhaps I could drill out some of the box caving in...it has some of the electricals in it that i can see from the back but for the most part i think its hollow...ill examine :D thanks guys

Somerville said:
Thanks yeah...that would be kind of a hassle and I would have to spend more money lol. The freezer part isnt very airtight which means that perhaps they kind of share temperatures or something...I could take off all the freezer parts but then Im not really sure how a external temp controller will handle that...with the top being really cold and the bottom being less...I dont know...perhaps I could drill out some of the box caving in...it has some of the electricals in it that i can see from the back but for the most part i think its hollow...ill examine :D thanks guys

These small refrigerators don't have "airtight" freezers. Refrigerant is circulated through the coils in the walls of that tiny little freezer, which is how it works. You can't remove the freezer without breaking the coolant lines, meaning you then just have a box that won't chill since all the coolant will be gone.

About 6months ago I moved to a new place, and had to consolidate my full size keg-o-rator, so I built this one Keg mini. It works fine, but It is a tight fit for the CO2, keg and fittings as you can see.
post1.jpg

Post2.jpg
First thing was to remove the door panel and cut out the shelfs so you can re-attach the door seal.

Post4.jpg

Disassemble the connections for the freezer, then you can vary gently bend down the coolant tubing so the freezer unit can be bent back ageist the back of the fridge.
Post3.jpg
My new project is to convert this mini-fridge for lagering . But like you I realized it wont fit a primary fermenter, but it will fit a 5gal keg if I take out the Door. I also am looking into these as a Primary, Square 5 to 6gal plastic carboys I need to measure the in side of my new Fridge to see if have to modify it for these to fit. They are FDA certified for food so they will work well if they fit.

baytec_1927_13938156

shelves.http://www.bayteccontainers.com/5galsqplju.html

:rockin: I took the measurements from my mini and the Baytech containers and they will fit with out modification! the dimensions of the space above the compressor housing is 12L X 15W X 16T, with the 5gal container is 9 3/4 X 14 1/2.

If I modify the freezer I can fit the 6gal size

also I found this Igloo cargo container
p5423b.jpg

http://www.igloo-store.com/product_detail.asp?T1=IGL+CARGO+6G&HDR=fullbeverage

And It will fit if I remove the door shelfing.

I guess the question is if these containers are suitable for a Primary fermentation vessel?

Back