fermenter temp control question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blowmax10

Reaction score
should I be setting my thermostat to the temp inside of the fridge or the temp of the thermostat on the carboy?

see what I'm saying? The fridge is set at 68 but the carboy is reading 72 - Should I dial down the fridge to get the carboy down?

should I be setting my thermostat to the temp inside of the fridge or the temp of the thermostat on the carboy?

see what I'm saying? The fridge is set at 68 but the carboy is reading 72 - Should I dial down the fridge to get the carboy down?

You want the temperature of the fermentation to be at the optimum temperature for whatever yeast you're using, so you want to have the fridge be at whatever temperature will give you the correct temperature for the fermentation.

When fermentation is very vigorous, the temperature inside the carboy can be 8-10 degrees higher than the ambient temperature, so you could try setting it at 62 degrees or even a little bit under.

Set the thermostat to whatever temperature it takes to keep your carboy at optimum temperature. Right now I've got my thermostat set to 60F, but my bucket is reading 66F due to active fermentation.

Back