Help with Gas Pin Lock Disconnect

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmoney1224

Reaction score
Okay I searched and I feel so stupid, but do you just connect the gas side disconnect onto the post, push down, and lock it in the little notches? The reason I ask is because I just got all of my kegging stuff together and on my test run it is leaking from the gas side ridiculously bad. It is definitely coming from inside the gas disconnect on the post, where the poppet valve is. I want to say that the O-rings is bad on the post(it is not horrible looking just loose). I have new o-rings on the way anyways, but I just want to make sure I am not missing something obvious.

I have ball lock, I dont know about pin lock but the posts look the same but are different for in and out. The in side has a notch in the side of the nut. Just in case you disassembled and mixed the posts up.

On the pin locks, the gas side has two notches and the beer side has three. I have the gray disconnect on the two notch side.

If I put downward pressure on the disconnect, the leak will stop. But as soon as I stop pushing down, it is leaking air. So I just want to make sure that the o-rings will solve this problem, and I don't need something else.

The ring that is keyed to engage the pins on the post holds downward pressure on the disconnect by way of a c-shaped locking ring. Is it possible that the locking ring is not seated properly?

It is likely the O-ring. Sizing on pinlocks is a bit odd. A standard "hard" #111 is actually a touch too small in diameter on a pinlock. I've found that either a #112 (which fits a little loose) or a silicone #111 works best.

Thanks Bobby, I will double check that.

I saw on another thread of yours about the 112 O-rings and made sure I got those. I should get the o rings tomorrow or Thursday and hopefully that will solve my problem.

Sounds like the O-ring is the wrong size or worn out. It shouldn't be loose at least from what I can remember on mine. I have a ton of extras if you need me to send you a few let me know.

Thanks for the offer stever, since I already bought some I will check them out and see if they work first then I may hit you up.

I took a couple of quick pictures when I was home.

The gas connected where I had it
100_2518.jpg

top of post, you can see the o-ring sticking out a bit
100_2520.jpg

side, I pushed the o-ring on the back so it would stick out as far as it could on the front side.
100_2523.jpg

that looks way too big. If you ordered the correct ones based on bobby's earlier post you will be good to go.

Wow, yeah, way big. Don't be alarmed when you see how loose the #112 fits. It doesn't hug the recessed part of the post tight like the #111 does. However, it compress it just enough when you get the QD on. In the case of a #111, it actually has to stretch too much so the ultimate OD of the installed oring is too small and a wiggle on the QD can cause leaking.

Back