Fruit Beer Lemon-Lime Hefe Weizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I brewed this up on the 3rd and its going nuts. Can't wait to try it after reading all the great reviews! A big thanks to SD-SLIM for providing this recipe!

This was my biggest crowd pleaser. I used the
3068 not the recommended yeast, and fermented low and got lots of clove. After a month this worked really nice with the lime. I have zero left. I had a friends batch with 3068 fermented at 73 and it was a banana mess- that would definitely suck in this recipe.

Thanks slim!

The end of my fermination is nearing and I was wondering what everyone was doing with this when it's ready. Cold crash then keg? That's the route I was thinking of going. Should it condition in the keg for any amount of time before serving, if so how long and s/b cold?

The end of my fermination is nearing and I was wondering what everyone was doing with this when it's ready. Cold crash then keg? That's the route I was thinking of going. Should it condition in the keg for any amount of time before serving, if so how long and s/b cold?

since this is a Hefeweizen and it's meant to be cloudy, there's no need to cold crash. I just kegged mine up and force carbonated to 2.7 volumes and let it go... it was a beautiful looking hefe and the keg was empty in about 2-2.5 hours when I took it to a pool party.

Just legged today. It's been under pressure only for a few hrs but I wanted to sample it. Wow what a strong lemon-lime flavor. Can't wait until its carbed up. Great summer beer. Kinda taste like summer shandy

Not fully carbed up but drinking it anyway. Awsome I love it. A great summer beer. Gonna have to brew more cuz I don't think its gonna last long. Thanks SD-slim u r the man......

Forgot a pic

ForumRunner_20120707_220325.jpg

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120707_220240.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120707_220240.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 472
I brewed up 15 Gallons of this today... unfortunately i was unable to find WLP380... closest thing i could find was WLP300 which i understands gives off alot more banana flavor... has anyone brewed this with WLP300? hopefully it will be good..

G_Brew said:
I brewed up 15 Gallons of this today... unfortunately i was unable to find WLP380... closest thing i could find was WLP300 which i understands gives off alot more banana flavor... has anyone brewed this with WLP300? hopefully it will be good..

I would have gone with a dry yeast then. I don't think the banana esters will be good. And you have alot of it to drink if its funky.... just my .02

It will be good beer, the best yeast is Hef IV...however other yeast will work!

First batch of this went in the keg today. Came out 5.4 ABV woohoo:drunk:
I used Wyeast 1010 due to no avalability locally of White Labs. Tasted so good flat out of the vile I could have drank a glass of it flat. I will post a picture when it carbs up.

Thanks Slim:mug:

Since I am drinking a pint of this outstanding brew right now, I thought that I would add that I stuck to the recipe with the exception of the yeast. I would of had to special order it from both of my LHBS, so I went with Safbrew WB-06.
I was a little worried when I first sampled after kegging and carbing up as the lime/lemon didn't really come threw, but after a couple of weeks it is really there now!

So I would say that using dry yeast will not effect the taste. :mug:

skybrew said:
Since I am drinking a pint of this outstanding brew right now, I thought that I would add that I stuck to the recipe with the exception of the yeast. I would of had to special order it from both of my LHBS, so I went with Safbrew WB-06.
I was a little worried when I first sampled after kegging and carbing up as the lime/lemon didn't really come threw, but after a couple of weeks it is really there now!

So I would say that using dry yeast will not effect the taste. :mug:

I have not brewed this beer, but I have found wb06 is a damn fine wheat beer yeast!

I just bottled this last night, going to be serving it at my Grandparent's 60th anniversary family get together and uncarbonated it tasted great! Nice lemon pop to it and some lime that I hope starts to be a little more assertive in a couple of weeks. Thanks for the recipe Slim! Great first all-grain brew!!

What temp you recommend fermenting the WLP380 at?
And based on the FG's I'm seeing I guess its a 148*f mash for 90minutes(I'll be doing a protein rest as well)?
I've got a competition in late august I'd like to enter a beer based on this one in. I think I'd like to drop the abv down to about 6% w/ limeaid so I figure I'll drop the starting gravity to around 1.051.
My sorachi's are 2011, so I think I may increase those additions by 50%.
Thoughts?

What temp you recommend fermenting the WLP380 at?
And based on the FG's I'm seeing I guess its a 148*f mash for 90minutes(I'll be doing a protein rest as well)?
I've got a competition in late august I'd like to enter a beer based on this one in. I think I'd like to drop the abv down to about 6% w/ limeaid so I figure I'll drop the starting gravity to around 1.051.
My sorachi's are 2011, so I think I may increase those additions by 50%.
Thoughts?

I would ferment at 68 degrees...this yeast has a very small window of happiness (I think from 66 to 70), so I always ferment at 68.
As for mashing, I did it at 148 for 45 minutes...with equipment in the high 70's to low 80's in efficiency...however do what you need to do based on your equipments abilities, keep in mind their is a lot of grain in this recipe.
As for your hops...if you stored them in the freezer and kept them away from light, they should only degrade by 10% every six months...so you may only be looking at a 20% loss of its alpha potential...remember to smell them, if they smell like cheese or like skunk, they are no good...but if you bought pellets, stored them in the freezer in a bag that oxygen cannot penentrate then at the most you have lost 20% and have great hops ready to go!

Drinking this now from the keg. I had it ferment for 3-4 weeks n its been in keg since Fri. Had some on sat n it was good. Drinking now n its way better. I think it needs to age like a week in keg n it mellows out even more. I love it. Just ordered the grains to make it again.

I would ferment at 68 degrees...this yeast has a very small window of happiness (I think from 66 to 70), so I always ferment at 68.
As for mashing, I did it at 148 for 45 minutes...with equipment in the high 70's to low 80's in efficiency...however do what you need to do based on your equipments abilities, keep in mind their is a lot of grain in this recipe.
As for your hops...if you stored them in the freezer and kept them away from light, they should only degrade by 10% every six months...so you may only be looking at a 20% loss of its alpha potential...remember to smell them, if they smell like cheese or like skunk, they are no good...but if you bought pellets, stored them in the freezer in a bag that oxygen cannot penentrate then at the most you have lost 20% and have great hops ready to go!

You find the esters at 68 to be a good balance? I was thinking 66 but have zero experience with the yeast, I'll go for your recommendation.

Eh I've got some whole leaf from 2011 I really need to inspect. I think I'll end up using some nitro flushed pellets I have. (Hate I bought 3oz of whole leaf from a LHBS I found and they didn't keep their stock vacuum sealed. I'll probably just throw those away)

Grrrrrr... 22 days in primary & now at 1.020. Not sure what to do at this point. Tasted it and it tastes good, obviously a little sweet but not too bad. I don't have another yeast cake or similar yeast either. Any suggestions?

Grrrrrr... 22 days in primary & now at 1.020. Not sure what to do at this point. Tasted it and it tastes good, obviously a little sweet but not too bad. I don't have another yeast cake or similar yeast either. Any suggestions?

Transfer it to another fermenter (removing from current yeast cake) then pitch with a dry ale yeast, let it ferment for 4 days...if no change in gravity add another lime ade

Stoner said:
Will do Slim, have you tried this before? If so what yeast did you use or do you recommend?

When I was developing this recipe, I had 5 different versions going in 1 gallon fermenters....I had an issue with yeast in one of them, so I used Safale US-05 and it turned out to be a nice beer. The advantages of using 05 when you have a situation like this, is that the yeast works extremely fast and the majority of the characteristics from the Hef IV won't be over shadowed by this yeast.

Just brewed this recipe for the second time on Thursday. I can safely say this is the most violent fermentation I have ever had. I'm using a blowoff tube and it is has been releasing a constant flow of co2 since I pitched my yeast. I'm fermenting in a plastic bucket and it has the lid bowed so severly it is pushing co2 out the sides of the lid to the point my dogs went wild barking this evening at the noises, (as if someone was entering the house). I had to crack open the lid a couple times to release the majority of the pressure build up. A fun and very active beer to brew!

Just brewed this recipe today as a partial mash. Here is my recipe in case there are any other PMers out there:

Grains (mashed at 158 for 45 mins, mashed out at 170 for 10 minutes, then strained through a mesh bag, sparged with 1.5 gals water and drained into brew kettle):
- 3 lbs 2-row Pale
- 2 lbs White Wheat
- 0.5 lb Vienna

Malt Extract (added to brew kettle with above wort and brought to boil):
- 6 lbs NB Wheat Liquid Malt Extract

Hop/Other Schedule:
- 0.25 oz Motueka (7.4% AA) at 60 Minutes
- 0.35 oz Sorachi Ace (10.5% AA) 20 minutes
- 0.35 oz Motueka 20 minutes
- 1/2 tsp Yeast Nutrient 10 minutes
- 0.35 oz Sorachi Ace 5 Minutes
- 0.75 oz Lime Zest 5 Minutes

Yeast:
- White Labs Hefeweizen IV (created starter with 3 cups of wort for approx 45 min prior to pitching).

Volume of water to start: 6.5 gallons
Volume of wort into primary: 5.66 gallons
Original gravity: 1.066

Question: Do you recommend doing a secondary fermentation with this recipe? Since it's a hefe, I would guess that none is needed (since it is normally a cloudy beer).

I'll post back in a month when I bottle this up. Thanks for posting SD-SLIM! Cheers! :mug:

garyg363 said:
Just brewed this recipe today as a partial mash. Here is my recipe in case there are any other PMers out there:

Grains (mashed at 158 for 45 mins, mashed out at 170 for 10 minutes, then strained through a mesh bag, sparged with 1.5 gals water and drained into brew kettle):
- 3 lbs 2-row Pale
- 2 lbs White Wheat
- 0.5 lb Vienna

Malt Extract (added to brew kettle with above wort and brought to boil):
- 6 lbs NB Wheat Liquid Malt Extract

Hop/Other Schedule:
- 0.25 oz Motueka (7.4% AA) at 60 Minutes
- 0.35 oz Sorachi Ace (10.5% AA) 20 minutes
- 0.35 oz Motueka 20 minutes
- 1/2 tsp Yeast Nutrient 10 minutes
- 0.35 oz Sorachi Ace 5 Minutes
- 0.75 oz Lime Zest 5 Minutes

Yeast:
- White Labs Hefeweizen IV (created starter with 3 cups of wort for approx 45 min prior to pitching).

Volume of water to start: 6.5 gallons
Volume of wort into primary: 5.66 gallons
Original gravity: 1.066

Question: Do you recommend doing a secondary fermentation with this recipe? Since it's a hefe, I would guess that none is needed (since it is normally a cloudy beer).

I'll post back in a month when I bottle this up. Thanks for posting SD-SLIM! Cheers! :mug:

I never recommend secondary fermentation, unless you are aging or brewing with fresh fruit....additionally hef's never need a secondary because they dont need to clear up or age.
The only issue I see with your recipe was your starter....45 minutes isn't enough time to multiply the cells enough to pitch a good starter...always try and do one 24 hours in advance or no less than 4 hours before with a stir plate.

Just finished brewing this. First AG BIAB :fro: hit my efficiency at 75%.
This is absolutely the best smelling wort I have had going. Folowed the original recipe.

Thank you SD-SLIM! :mug:

BrewByLos said:
Just finished brewing this. First AG BIAB :fro: hit my efficiency at 75%.
This is absolutely the best smelling wort I have had going. Folowed the original recipe.

Thank you SD-SLIM! :mug:

My wife asked me when I was gonna brew the one that smelled like fruity pebbles again....

Back