bread yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nwaite

Reaction score
Hey guys!
So a friend of mine says he's going to make some brandy.... I ask how . Well prity much like a wine recipe but in stead of wine yeast you use bakers yeast and it will get ya up to 40% ....
Any one know if this is true? An if it is wouldn't it taste like dig loss any ways?

I don't think that's true. Distilling is the only way to get it up to that high of a percent. (I think). It will probably be a low alcohol beverage that tastes horrible as well.

In order to make Brandy it has to be distilled, since distillation is illegal in the united states we don't talk about it on this forum.

In answer to the yeast question, commercial brandy makers distill wine, made with wine yeast, not grape juice fermented with bread yeast, if you get my drift. If you use crap, then you get crap.

I my experience, most things fermented with bread yeast (except sourdough) taste kinda nasty. Also, I doubt bread yeast will ferment anything higher than 8%, 10% max.
Brandy is actually a distilled spirit, and home distillation is illegal in the United States.
Discussion of distillation is a bit of a no-no on this site; not trying to be a dick, just letting you know.
Regards, GF.

Closest you can get without distilling is with either Wyeast Eau de Vie (21%) or White Labs 099 Super High Gravity (25%) yeasts. But fermenting something to those levels presents you with its own set of issues.

BTW, listen to the rest of us and leave the illegal aspects off the forum. Unless you're actually licensed to distill spirits.

Sounds like what I was thinking .. thank you guys .

Ooh and not to be rude... But you guys are the only ones talking about distilling ... And that us a no no . No more of that please :)

Sounds like what I was thinking .. thank you guys .

Ooh and not to be rude... But you guys are the only ones talking about distilling ... And that us a no no . No more of that please :)

Well, because we know how it's made, it's not made by a yeast that can take it to 40% like you asked....

Back