Victory Storm King clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RIT_Warrior

Reaction score
I can't find a recipe online anywhere, so I'm going to make my own. In celebration of my new 7.5 gallon pot and the ability to do full boils I shall brew this. I'd appreciate criticisms/critiques of this to hone it before I actually attempt it. What do you guys think:

10lbs Extra Light DME
1lbs Crystal 60L
.75lbs Roasted Barley
.75lbs Black Patent
.5 Chocolate Malt
1oz Columbus 14% (60 min)
.75oz Centennial 10% (60 min)
.75oz Centennial 10% (30 min)
1oz Cascade 5.5% (15 min)
.5 tab Whirlfloc (probably not necessary...)
2 packets Safale US-05

OG: ~1.090
FG: ~1.019
Batch size: 5 gal

I know the hops are "Pacific Northwest", so I shot for ~80 IBUs using the 3 Cs. I know you can't see through this stuff at all, so I loaded it up with super dark steeing grains. And I know it comes in at around 9% alcohol, so I shot for an OG of around 1.090. I assume 2 packets of US-05 would be up to the task of fermenting that down. Compliments/suggestions/criticisms welcome!

I saw that, but I don't think that recipe is Storm King. For instance, that recipe is 5.5% alcohol, but Storm King clocks in at above 9%. Storm King also uses American hops (according to Victory), specifically Pacific Northwest American hops, while that recipe uses Hallertau and Northern Brewer. I also think Storm King is above and beyond most IPAs for bitterness, so I put the IBUs at around 80. That recipe looks to be around 30, according to beersmith. Basically, I don't think it is an Imperial IPA.

Are you against using partial mashes?

Also, its been a while since I've had this but I remember quite a bit of roasted malt flavor to it

here use this link to determine appropriate yeast addition:
http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html

1. I've never actually done it before, but I am told you can do this without extra equipment, so I'm actually going to try it with a 90 minute IPA clone I'm brewing. So I suppose I could give it a go, if it would improve this recipe.

2. Yep, it does have lot of roasted malt flavor. Think I should up the roasted barley and chop off some of the other steeping grains?

3. Yep, I knew about that tool; it is quite useful. Looks like it suggests 1.5 US-05 packets for this OG. I'll do that, then.

1. I've never actually done it before, but I am told you can do this without extra equipment, so I'm actually going to try it with a 90 minute IPA clone I'm brewing. So I suppose I could give it a go, if it would improve this recipe.

This is a stout that has good head retention (at least it had a small head retention down the whole glass as I was drinking it). So I would mash flaked barley or carapils to add this head retention....I'd say go ahead and steep but I do not know if simply steeping either flaked barley or carapils will quite get the characteristics you are looking for.

2. Yep, it does have lot of roasted malt flavor. Think I should up the roasted barley and chop off some of the other steeping grains?

I have no experience brewing stout...I just simply agree the other forum link on here is nowhere near a storm king clone. But that being said I would be very cautious using chocolate malt period so cut a bit on that and perhaps the crystal as well. I recently brewed an IPA with a small small addition of black patent and the flavor imparted on the IPA is quite interesting so I don't know if I would cut that.

In my opinion there is nothing worse than a stout that tastes like too much chocolate, but everyone criticizes me for that so take what I say about the chocolate malt with a grain of salt.

This is a stout that has good head retention (at least it had a small head retention down the whole glass as I was drinking it). So I would mash flaked barley or carapils to add this head retention....I'd say go ahead and steep but I do not know if simply steeping either flaked barley or carapils will quite get the characteristics you are looking for.

You can steel carapils/carafoam, I've done it before. It works great. I'll add some of that to the recipe. Flaked barley might work better though.

I have no experience brewing stout...I just simply agree the other forum link on here is nowhere near a storm king clone. But that being said I would be very cautious using chocolate malt period so cut a bit on that and perhaps the crystal as well. I recently brewed an IPA with a small small addition of black patent and the flavor imparted on the IPA is quite interesting so I don't know if I would cut that.

In my opinion there is nothing worse than a stout that tastes like too much chocolate, but everyone criticizes me for that so take what I say about the chocolate malt with a grain of salt.

You might be right on the chocolate malt, I think I'll actually take that out. I'm still a bit wary about going overboard with the roasted barley, the stuff has quite a powerful flavor.

10lbs Extra Light DME
.9lbs Roasted Barley
.75lbs Black Patent
.5lbs carapils/carafoam
.5lbs Crystal 60L
1oz Columbus 14% (60 min)
.75oz Centennial 10% (60 min)
.75oz Centennial 10% (30 min)
1oz Cascade 5.5% (15 min)
.5 tab Whirlfloc (probably not necessary...)
2 packets Safale US-05

And funny you should mention black patent and IPAs, I just picked up some Otter Creek "Black IPA", which is an IPA that uses roasted barley/black patent. Pretty good stuff, and rather cheap too.

Hopefully someone can offer their experience with roasted barley...I haven't used it before and I'm unfamiliar how much flavor it would impart on a heavy beer like this. I just know for a fact thats the main flavor I noticed of this beer.

I'm guessing if this was all-grain I'd use about 20 lbs of maris otter...since their site clearly states it is brewed with imported 2 row...and if i kept the rest of your grain selection that would put roasted barley at about 5%. To me, that sounds right.

I wouldn't go so far to say completely eliminate the chocolate malt...I was poking around a few sites looking for examples and couldn't find another russian imperial stout without a 2 to 3 percent grist of chocolate malt. Maybe start at 1/5 of a lb to 1/3 of a lb to steep?

I may just go buy one of these soon and taste it again just because I'd like a change of pace from brewing IPAs and hefeweizens.

wouldn't mind reviving this thread. The website says 3 2row grains so that would leave flaked barley out I think but maybe they didn't mention that as an ingredient and just have say, 2row, roasted barley and chocolate or something.

just had a victory storm king and it was great. wouldnt mind hearing how it turned out. austin homebrew has a clone recipe for sale. ive never brewed a stout so i may do my first as a kit.

This week's (6/17/13) Sunday Session on the Brewing Network had the owner of Victory on and he gave out the recipe for Storm King, which is as follows:

OG 21 P or 1.087
77% Pilsner
12% Vienna
5% Roasted Barley
5% Carafa III
1% Caraaroma

IBU's are 85.
Centennial makes up 25% of hop additions and are 60, 30, 15 minutes.
Cascade 50%, 2/3 at 15, rest split between 5 minute and hopback.
Chinook 25%, 1/3 @ 5 min, 2/3 hopback.

Personally, if no hopback, I would assume you would just add at whirlpool.

Yeast is a special yeast they get but is basically an American Ale yeast...so WLP001 or 1056 should be good.

2 Step Mash, 149F for 45 minutes, 161F for 30.

Ferment at 62F.

This week's (6/17/13) Sunday Session on the Brewing Network had the owner of Victory on and he gave out the recipe for Storm King, which is as follows:

OG 21 P or 1.087
77% Pilsner
12% Vienna
5% Roasted Barley
5% Carafa III
1% Caraaroma

IBU's are 85.

Yeast is a special yeast they get but is basically an American Ale yeast...so WLP001 or 1056 should be good.

Ferment at 62F.

nice, I love this beer, just had one the other night too, thanks for posting.

OG 21 P or 1.087
77% Pilsner
12% Vienna
5% Roasted Barley
5% Carafa III
1% Caraaroma

IBU's are 85.

Ferment at 62F.

Thanks for posting. Storm King is one of my favorite brews... simply amazing if you get it on hand pump. I plan on brewing a version of this sometime this week. MO in place of the victory, melanioden in place of the cararoma, and who knows what hops I have to use up. I have plenty of washed US05 that's only a couple weeks old to boot.

jdauria said:
This week's (6/17/13) Sunday Session on the Brewing Network had the owner of Victory on and he gave out the recipe for Storm King, which is as follows: OG 21 P or 1.087 77% Pilsner 12% Vienna 5% Roasted Barley 5% Carafa III 1% Caraaroma IBU's are 85. Centennial makes up 25% of hop additions and are 60, 30, 15 minutes. Cascade 50%, 2/3 at 15, rest split between 5 minute and hopback. Chinook 25%, 1/3 @ 5 min, 2/3 hopback. Personally, if no hopback, I would assume you would just add at whirlpool. Yeast is a special yeast they get but is basically an American Ale yeast...so WLP001 or 1056 should be good. 2 Step Mash, 149F for 45 minutes, 161F for 30. Ferment at 62F.

So... Has anyone brewed this up yet?

I brewed a similar version to this that I just racked to a keg, minus a gallon that went on oak. I'll leave it in there for a couple months to age a bit before I bottle the oaked version or set the keg to carbonate.

Seemed a bit harsh, either bitterness or astringent, coming out of the fermenter. Lots of roast in this and it was hopped quite aggressively with little malt sweetness to counter it, but I'm sure that will disappear after it's carbonated and time to pour a glass. Numbers were close and mine finished right at 1.020 with little to no alcohol warmth. I used some fresh slurry and oxygen and had a very nice ferment as a result.

Back