Floating Particles in Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

esva_rig

Reaction score
My friend and I have just finished brewing/bottling/carbonating our first batch of beer (an IPA kit from a local home brew shop) and were fairly careful about not letting too many particles get into the bottles. However, we've had several in the fridge for about 4 weeks now, and they've got some white-ish particles in them. They will settle to the bottom of the bottles, but pouring can be pretty painstaking and you have to leave about 1/4 of the beer in the bottle. The beer tastes great, so I'm assuming that this is some sort of yeast flocculation.

Here's a link to a bunch of pictures I took. Some are from a larger glass that I poured the beer in, and some are from a smaller glass that I poured the bottom of the bottle in (most of the particles in this one).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/53900834@N07/sets/72157624825935769/

What do y'all think this could be?

It's called yeast sediment.....It's normal in bottle conditioned beers, both homebrew and commercial.

Learn to pour to the shoulder, and you'll leave it behind.

Last edited by a moderator:
I watched just about every video that guy made before brewing my first batch. It was pertty helpful for a noob. He simplifies what seemed complicated as a rookie brewer. Seeing a visual of the actual brewing process before jumping in really helped.

I have to say this....

It's really funny someone made a video on pouring beer.

Not really, since this type of question comes up on about a weekly basis. This or "how do I filter out the evil yeast, since I grew up with tasteless BMC that has no yeast in it, and if they don't, mine shouldn't either, right?" type of threads. I think the video is really helpful.

We get folks like that on here all the time, who think there is something wrong because their beer has sediment in it, or want to filter it out. It's really a culture thing, you don't so much of that in the rest of the beer world. Like the hefeweizen...that is swimming in yeasty beasties...

It's just that for the last 150 years or so Americans have been conditioned by the BMC brewers to pretty much know only about fliltered crystal clear light lagers. With little or no flavor.

Until the 80's with the rise of craft breweries and great import availability of beers from around the world, you didn't see many commercial beers with sediment in it.

And if you've only been exposed to BMC's then you're not going to know or understand about bottle conditioned or living beers. Especially also if you've consumed said beers in the bottle.

Back