5 gallon cooler find....mash tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homebrew4u

Reaction score
not sure if this is the right spot to post this, mods please move if necessary.

just got back from my local gander mountain in kalamazoo, mi. they have 5 gallon rubbermaid blue beverage coolers for $19.97ea. i just wanted to share this info, as i thought it was a good buy. AG brewing is moving closer to my grasp one piece at a time.

yeah, i realize that now after making this post and researching some things further. i guess it was one of those spur of the moment buys, as it was about $15 cheaper than other 5gal beverage coolers locally. i am sure it will work for something else maybe camping purposes.

Your five gallon tun will work just fine, I've made beer up to 1.070 with mine. Congratulations on finding such a good buy.

Yes it may limit what you can make, but if your grain bill fits in it then use it. Less head space=better. In the future when you need to make >10% abv 5 gal batches then buy a 10 gal.

I started out on a 5G mash tun... I assure you you can make some fantastic beers! You might not be making a big barleywine or anything. But, you can make some good normal sized beers! Now get brewing!

Back