Fresh Hop "Dry Hopping" Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

williamgardner

Reaction score
I received homegrown Cascade hops from this past growing season. When give they were frozen in ziplock bags.

I would like to "wet" hop my IPA in the secondary. The question is how/do you need to sterilize the hops before adding them to the secondary?

Any feedback in procedure or wet/dry hopping is much appreciated...

Normally you dont worry about 'sterilizing' them. The beer has alcohol to protect it a bit. Make sure they arent covered in filth, put them into secondary, and rack on top.

Thanks for the quick response...they seem quite clean but I'm sure there is some dirt still on them...they have been frozen for about a month or so...also, the IPA is an imperial so the alcohol will be even higher to protect them

the alpha acids in the hops are potent anti-bacterial agents. they'll kill most baddies and the yeast has probably chewed up all the sugars so their wont be much food for any airborne baddies to feed on.

personally, i'd recommend adding fresh frozen hops to the end of a boil to get their flavors. because of all the water in them, i dont think they'll do much in a dry hop.

Back