Yeast Starter Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

INeedANewHobby

Reaction score
PLEASE LEAVE THIS IN THIS FORUM! :)

I just finished my stir-plate...I will be using a 1000mL flask and a 1" stir-bar. Now I didn't have a hard drive magnet to use on the PC fan inside, so I bought some rare earth magnets from Radio Shack (little ones, 4 total). They are crazy strong, and I get a very nice swirl in the flask...but I do NOT get a vortex coming down more than a 1/4" or so. If I turn it up anymore, the stir-bar flies off track to the side.

My question, is that minute little vortex good enough? The starter is, as we all know, intended to propagate the yeast better by allowing them the O2 they need. Are they getting the O2 they need to be successful without the vortex? Is part of the equation simply having them in an active/suspended state so they do not just jump to the stage where they ferment the sugar and produce alcohol/CO2?

Insight is appreciated. I can adjust more or hunt down a bigger/better magnet if needed, but I am curious if this is sufficient.

Back