American IPA All Amarillo IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Even after only 4 days on gas.. it's already mellowed.

I have some friends coming over this weekend, I'm really hoping it's drinkable by then.

I think you should be pretty good (do they like pink grapefruit? ha!).

I just put another batch up on the 3rd, and plan to dry hop this time. half debating ordering another 7lbs of DME.

I think that at first, you may find the taste strong, but after a half a glass I was craving it.

Yeah.. I think I love it.. sure beats bottling. Although I'm struggling with getting the carbonation dialed in.. but I think it's impatience more than anything!

a little off topic but, let me know the issue (you can PM me if you want) - have tooled around with mine quite a bit. I set mine at about 11-13psi depending on what is in there. Make sure you have the right hose length to - minimum 5 feet for your dispensing.

My set up goes from basement to 1st floor tower on 15 feet of beer line.

I do the effective:
1. 30 PSI 24 hours (throw warm keg in keezer then hook up)
2. Revert to 11-13 psi

Drinkable in 24 hours, good carb in 3-5 days

I get a stubborn keg once in a while that wants to stay foamy. I turn off the gas, release the pressure through the valve on top of the Corny, leave it alone for a couple hours, release the pressure again, wait a couple more hours, then apply CO2 again at my serving pressure, and it's always been fine after that. (I'm not exactly sure why that works.)

I get a stubborn keg once in a while that wants to stay foamy. I turn off the gas, release the pressure through the valve on top of the Corny, leave it alone for a couple hours, release the pressure again, wait a couple more hours, then apply CO2 again at my serving pressure, and it's always been fine after that. (I'm not exactly sure why that works.)

Hey Rick - you had an all grain version of this recipe I believe, and have done the extract as well. Would you recc one version over the other?

I was considering BIAB, but wasn't sure if hte extra effort was worth it. Maybe I am thinking of the wrong rick, but I thought you had done AG and compared to extract.

Anything you would change to your recipe?

I think your gas issue is just light over carbing. Does it happen after the keg is on tap for a while? I think it slowly overcarbs if unbalanced. When you burp the keg you are removing the CO2, thus bringing it back to a lower carb point.

I brew the all-grain version of the recipe quite often. Both the extract and all-grain versions are really good. I'd be hard pressed to pick one over the other. Can't go wrong. (Although I always brew it all-grain, just because that's my habit.)

I do tweak the recipe every now and then-- different yeast, different bittering hop, etc. I think all amarillo and with Bell's yeast (or WLP051/Wyeast 1272) is best. I do dry hop it every time (with amarillo).

You may be right about the carbing thing.

I brew the all-grain version of the recipe quite often. Both the extract and all-grain versions are really good. I'd be hard pressed to pick one over the other. Can't go wrong. (Although I always brew it all-grain, just because that's my habit.)

I do tweak the recipe every now and then-- different yeast, different bittering hop, etc. I think all amarillo and with Bell's yeast (or WLP051/Wyeast 1272) is best. I do dry hop it every time (with amarillo).

You may be right about the carbing thing.

Thanks Rick - I know AG brewing is right around the corner for me, but I am just now sure what to expect of the beers I now like from extract. I am hoping that I can routinely produce great results. I am going to dry hop this time around, follow your format of 10 days ~1 oz.

One big advantage of the AG is $$ - I am sure that plays into your all grain brewing choice. I know it does for me.

I'm amazed, I drank 2 pints last night, and the grapefruit has mellowed SIGNIFICANTlY. This is going to be a nice drinking IPA.

I shoved an ounce of Amarillo in the Keg, because it was really lacking hop aroma.

I'm amazed, I drank 2 pints last night, and the grapefruit has mellowed SIGNIFICANTlY. This is going to be a nice drinking IPA.

I shoved an ounce of Amarillo in the Keg, because it was really lacking hop aroma.

Be careful - your keg may spring a leak. Or at least, that is how you will have to explain it to your SWMBO when you kick in in two weeks :mug:

It is a very easy drinking, smooth beer. The more you drink it, the more you will be addicted. I remember many a weekday I was tipping one back, one after another....

I think the only think mine was lacking was the hop aroma (doing that this time around)

Enjoy!

Trust me.. I was 2.5 pints in last night, when I had to call it quits. I had a significant buzz on before dinner! My carbonation isn't quite right though. I did 36 hours at 30psi, and then 24 hours at 14psi. Needs another few days I think.

Ha ha - good stuff.

When my buddy came over he said the same thing. He was like... "trust me I can hold my liquor, but after a pint and a half, I can already feel it".

Shortly after he came over and started his first home brew batch at my house.

Rick500- Do you think it would be better to use and american 2-row for the base grains, or something like maris otter? I am trying to decide which bag of grains to buy, and which is more versatile.

Thanks!

Rick500- Do you think it would be better to use and american 2-row for the base grains, or something like maris otter? I am trying to decide which bag of grains to buy, and which is more versatile.

Thanks!

I think it depends what you want to brew. 2-rwo is more neutral than MO, and is usually used for American Style Ales, etc.

I buy 2-row by the 55lb bag, and am always running out. It comes down to personal preference though, but I think MO gives a more Malty tone. I like my IPA's to be fairly neutral so the hops can come through!

Thanks for the info - what brand (Briess/NW, etc?) of 2row do you like (my first bag).

I figured for the styling that american 2row would be where it is at for this IPA. I figure for many american IPAs - which I love, so it makes sense to buy that.

I live in Canada, but I believe it's Weyermann. Seems great to me, but I don't really know the difference ;) The price is right though.. we pay $35 taxes in for 55lbs.

Very cool - thanks for the tip! I can't wait to BIAB this stuff.

Off topic but...

I used to live in Potsdam, NY - right near Canada. Spent a lot of time up in Ontario and really loved it - I know, Ontario is huge :)

We used to cruise up to montreal, and then when i was in Buffalo, Ny for a while I was going to little niagara and some of the great place up there.

That is exactly what I was hoping to hear.

I have done cider for a long time, mostly because it is very cost effective. However, I love beer, and now I want to make phenomonal beer. I assume it has to be an upgrade from extract, if done correctly.

Not to mention the money saving issue!

I just tasted this recipe. YUMMY...

The Amarillo hops are great. Citrus flavor, grapefruit but not too much.

This one may go into the rotation as one I would like to have around all of the time. I have a feeling this batch may go pretty fast.
:mug:

I just tasted this recipe. YUMMY...

The Amarillo hops are great. Citrus flavor, grapefruit but not too much.

This one may go into the rotation as one I would like to have around all of the time. I have a feeling this batch may go pretty fast.
:mug:

one of my most addictive beers to date. Trying all grain with it this weekend!

Just pulled the first one off the keg tonight. Holy crap this is good stuff!!! It needs to carb up a little more but it is gooooooooood.

Im looking to brew my second beer, and and very interested in the citrusy flavor of the amarillo hops. I was going to do a full boil and had a few questions. When you steep the .5 lb of 40L, do you still steep it in 1.5 gal? Also how much water did you add for the full boil? Just top it off to an even 5 gallons? How hoppy is the beer by the way? I was thinking of doing 2 oz @ 60 and 1.5 @ 30 to give it more of kick. Thanks so much!

When I did it, I steeped in like 3.5 gallons, then did a full boil. I don't think using a little more on the steep hurts anything (my beer came out great). Just be sure not to steep too hot.

I brewed 7 gallons to start and was left with ~ 5.5 gallons to go into the fermenter after the hour long boil.

I think it is nice and hoppy, easy drinking but the hops do fade. If you are a wicked hop head you could add more. I wanted to try the recipe first. The only thing I did change was that I am dry hopping this time around.

I am really interested in doing this recipe for my second batch. I am a hophead and if someone can help me get the most out of this recipe, I would greatly appreciate it. Since this is my second batch, I don't feel too comfortable changing things. Also, I will be doing a 2.5 gal boil. Thanks!

Im gonna steep in 2 gallons then do a full boil. How many gallons should I start and end with for a full boil? i know the batch size is 5 gallons. I know the recipe calls for a 5 gallon batch but should I aim for a little more, like 5.25 gallons or just aim for 5 gallons?

I've chosen this recipe as my second batch after my first results were pretty successful (porter).

Bubbling quite frequently at first (more than 1/second) but now at day 4 I have zero bubbles in the airlock. Is my fermentation stuck or just working extremely slowly? I've got it around 63-64 in a water bath.

I've chosen this recipe as my second batch after my first results were pretty successful (porter).

Bubbling quite frequently at first (more than 1/second) but now at day 4 I have zero bubbles in the airlock. Is my fermentation stuck or just working extremely slowly? I've got it around 63-64 in a water bath.

What yeast? I used US-05 and it was done pretty fast, like 3-4 days. I let it sit for another 7, dry hopped for 7 more and am drinking one right now.

So I know this is supposed to be an Amarillo IPA but a guy I know from my LHBS is selling me 4oz of 8.8% Cascades from New Mexico. I think it would be real interesting (and cheap) to brew this recipe with his hops. What do you guys think? I see no harm.

Used Safale-04 because my homebrew store was all out of the 05. Also, is the consensus that this recipe is ok for only primary fermentation? If so, leave it in thee for 2-3 weeks?

I did it with 3 weeks in the primary and three weeks in the bottles. and it turned out great. You will enjoy this beer.

I did it 3 weeks in primary and 10 days in dry hopping (just started carbing and will be trying the dry hopped version tonight). It smells awesome, wicked aroma so I can't wait. I think 3 weeks in the primary is money.

can anyone tell me what boil size I should start with in a turkey fryer to get 5 gallons after 60 minutes?

can anyone tell me what boil size I should start with in a turkey fryer to get 5 gallons after 60 minutes?

Depends on your boiloff rate, but I use a turkey fryer and a 7.5 gallon pot that came with it. I usually start with 6.5 gallons to get 5 gallons post boil.

Some further tasting notes:

Mine has been in a keg for 3 weeks now. I did the AG version, and it feels a little thin for some reason. I've had some efficiency problems since getting my Barley Crusher, I don't quite have it dialed in.
It's my first time using Amarillo, and the grapefruit juice has certainly dialed down. It's tasty, but I think I prefered my all Centennial beer. I'm also starting to realize I prefer layered hop additions, rather than single hop beers.

Still very tasty though!

Back