Mercury contactor vs. SSR

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burglar

Reaction score
This will be my first in a long line of questions for my build.

I see that almost everyone uses SSRs to control their elements. At my work we use mercury contactors quite often because of their long life.

As a mechanically minded guy, I'd feel safer using one of these over an SSR. Any reason not to use one?

If you can get them with low voltage DC coils, then they should work fine and a PID could control it exactly like they control SSRs.

Sorr y for being devils advocate, but won't they wear out being switched so frequently? Also, wouldn't the sound get annoying? It seems most people around here use a combination of the two to keep things safe.

My PID is set up on 1 sec cycles. I don't think a contactor would last very long being switched once a second. I use contactors for a hard on/off and SSRs for control.

My PID is set up on 1 sec cycles. I don't think a contactor would last very long being switched once a second. I use contactors for a hard on/off and SSRs for control.

1 sec cycle time does not mean the PID is continuously switching ON/OFF every second.

gunner65 said:
We use them in our lab for high voltage lightning surges. For brewing simple I would stick with an SSR.
I have used them on molding machines and the single and dual coil versions I have start at $85.00.
The SSR is a better choice for us hombrewers, cheaper and not so bulky.

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

1 sec cycle time does not mean the PID is continuously switching ON/OFF every second.

You want to maintain a steady boil. I do stove top. If I turn my control down to 90% the off cycle is noticeable. A one second duty cycle is reasonable. Think 50% to 70% power depending on element size and boil size. You would be turning off once a second. I have NO idea on your design parameters. Just throwing this into the thought process.

Thanks guys, I'm looking at the manual for the Auber and it reccomends a 2 second cycle time for an SSR and a minimum of 20 seconds for a mercury relay on manual mode. Big difference!

The SSR will give me much finer control of the boil.

Lesson learned: don't try and reinvent the wheel.

When I run my PID in manual mode, SSRs switch on/off once a second. I have it set up on a one second cycle. If I run on 90% power, the SSR is "on" for 0.9 sec and "off" for 0.1 sec. If I run my PID on anything longer than a 2 sec cycle, I can see the boil surge and stop when the SSR is "on" and "off". If I run the PID to control to a defined temp, then the SSRs do not switch on/off once a second.

Back